PDA

View Full Version : AEM Tru-boost controller

jeff
13th January 2007, 04:24 PM
I fitted the AEM Tru-boost controller today seems to be working ok,I have never had a boost gage on this car before so i took it for a spin up the duel carriage way, still got the second cat in at the moment it hit 0.70 bar is this about right i thought it was a bit on the low side.Hope to see a bit more boost when i get rid of the second cat i would be gratefull for advice thanks Jeff.

jamie supra
13th January 2007, 06:56 PM
Have you got the first cat nearest the turbo on the the second? also what size restrictor ring have you got on it?
I have no cats, no back box and a 54mm restrictor ring. i get exactly 0.8 bar on first turbo and what ever i dare wind it up to on the second (it has gone to 1.4 once but i never take it over 1.2 now).
0.7 sounds a little low!

Martin F
13th January 2007, 07:55 PM
also what size restrictor ring have you got on it?

Why would he need a restrictor ring if he still has a CAT in place?

0.7bar seems a little bit low for one CAT removed I would expect just under 1bar on a J-spec. How did you plumb in the solenoid?

Rico2006
13th January 2007, 08:51 PM
Any idea how to set the AEM jeff - ie , what settings. I installed mine a couple of months ago, but havent got around to plugging in the soleniod as i cant work out what settings to plug into it.. :confused:

jeff
14th January 2007, 09:46 AM
just tried to set the 2 boost settings on this but it don't seem to make any difference been to the aem web site looks like this is not for tt cars (single turbo only) although they don't say that, if anybody has fitted one of these and have it working ok please let me know.

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,18783.0.html

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,18637.0.html

jamie supra
14th January 2007, 10:13 AM
If ya read i also asked a question to confirm if it was the first or second cat that was taken out. thats why i asked if he had a restrictor ring also as that could explain quite a lot if he had

Why would he need a restrictor ring if he still has a CAT in place?

0.7bar seems a little bit low for one CAT removed I would expect just under 1bar on a J-spec. How did you plumb in the solenoid?

Martin F
14th January 2007, 10:28 AM
If you have either CAT in you don't need a restrictor ring.

Jeff\David are there any online install instructions for your boost controller as i'm sure it can probably be used. Most likely needs to be installed in a similar fashion to the DSBC, just obviously setting it up will be very specific.

Has anybody on Supraforums got one of these fitted?

jeff
14th January 2007, 11:49 AM
Sorry m8 the front cat has been taken out and a 1.2 restrictor ring fitted just in case.

These are the installation instructions for the pipe work they did not help me much , I just plumed it in the same as a boost gage (T piece between the map sensor) hope this is right

Rico2006
14th January 2007, 11:55 AM
IIRC, the boost setting is only relevent to Turbo2 - we cant control the boost seperate, so the AEM will work fine - its just a matter of working out what figures to put into the thingy.

Ill Check Supraforums, i keep forgetting about that.

Martin F
14th January 2007, 12:03 PM
Sorry m8 the front cat has been taken out and a 1.2 restrictor ring fitted just in case.

There is your problem, either take the other CAT out or the restrictor ring, you don't need both.

You need to follow the configuration shown in figure 8 for installing your solenoid along with the instructions shown here http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/blitz_dsbc/index.html

In summary the top port of the wastegate actuator needs to be capped. The lower port goes to out (Port 2) on your solenoid and the turbo pressure from the outlet on the side of the turbo needs to go to your in (Port 3) on your solenoid, the original VSV is bypassed.

HTH

jeff
14th January 2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Martin i will give that a go not till next weekend now will let you know how it goes thanks again jeff.

Rico2006
14th January 2007, 02:47 PM
I still cant work out what figures to plug in for the duty cycle stuff. Maybe ive read the instructions wrong - ill go check

jeff
14th January 2007, 03:37 PM
found this simple to follow diagram.

jamie supra
14th January 2007, 05:21 PM
Just to check - do you8 have a fuel cut defender? cuz when you go over 0.8 bar - you do really need one!

jeff
14th January 2007, 05:32 PM
Got a FDC on its way from thor also waiting for walbro fuel pump should be ok when everything is fitted.

jamie supra
14th January 2007, 05:35 PM
I say lose the cat. that way you can get maximun boost and response!make sure ya have denso irridium plugs - otherwise ya might get juddering like i did!

Martin F
14th January 2007, 06:22 PM
found this simple to follow diagram.

That diagram is contradictory to the instructions i linked to.

It may possibly work, but i know the way that i linked to works for sure. ;)

Rico2006
14th January 2007, 06:24 PM
im getting old - gonna get Paul W to check out my plumbing (so to speak) when i take it down on Wednesday - assuming i can sort out some 1/2" rubber tubing for my PS cooler.

jeff
14th January 2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks Martin right i am going to follow your instructions

jeff
20th January 2007, 11:31 AM
hi marting followed your instructions all fitted now took it for a spin hit fuel cut even with one cat still in going out to fit the FCD & de cat thanks jeff

Martin F
20th January 2007, 05:30 PM
Good luck Jeff, with the weather cooling your car will pull like a train !

Rico2006
24th January 2007, 11:44 PM
Got mine all wired in now, still not sussed out what figures to plum into it though - paul didng get time to set it up.

On these cold days, ive been hitting 1.3b on the peak hold, but that is in high gear at silly leptons. Since the plugs were changed, and the old SMIC replaced with the FMIC the car is just crazy... So crazy, im not going to remove the top limit at the moment, as i need it cutting in to stop me going to fast.

jeff
25th January 2007, 06:06 PM
Mine is working grate now don't now if the settings are right i guess it's personnel choice, Put these settings in it seems to be working fine

waste gate crack pressure 10%
boost setting A (duty cycle) 55% hitting about 1.2 bar
boost setting B (duty cycle) 45% hitting about 1.0 bar

It feels like a different car sounds good to, well pleased.