PDA

View Full Version : Smoke

Gambit
12th August 2007, 09:12 PM
When I floor it I see a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust, when the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I ran it at 4000 rpm in idle and it is as clear as a whistle.

Any thoughts?

UltraFlynn
12th August 2007, 09:22 PM
White smoke is usually water isn't it?

Are the stock turbos water cooled? (or just oil cooled).

Gambit
13th August 2007, 01:29 PM
White smoke is usually water isn't it?

There are no mods to the turbo's, just standard stuff.

UltraFlynn
13th August 2007, 05:08 PM

That was more of a general question to the assembled masses. I'm not sure whether the standard turbos use water and/or oil cooling.

Mike_Mac
13th August 2007, 05:53 PM
Stock Twins are oil cooled - hence having to install a water feed when swapping to some singles. IIRC :D

Martin F
13th August 2007, 07:34 PM
Stock turbos on a MKIV Supra are also water cooled.

Look at the two small water pipes on the end of the top radiator hose going back into the block.

UltraFlynn
13th August 2007, 08:24 PM
Stock turbos on a MKIV Supra are also water cooled.

You see why I asked now? I wasn't sure but if your getting white vapour from the exhaust under those conditions I'd say water from the turbo cooling is getting in there somehow.

White smoke all the time I would guess is head gasket.

Martin F
13th August 2007, 08:33 PM
I wasn't sure which car we were talking about, as this is posted in the non-MKIV section, that's why I didn't answer :(

If it's a puff of smoke when shifting I suspect it will be seals in the turbo, as there will be a momentary vacuum as the sub-throttle plate closes. However it should happen at every shift where you have been under boost and experience tells us it's normally oil seals which leak into the turbo. But sometimes it's hard to tell what colour smoke is when you're only leaving a small puff behind you :D

Gambit
14th August 2007, 01:27 PM
Is this bad?

As I say it only does it on shifting when going for the finish line.