PDA

View Full Version : Has Thor gone bust.....??????

kevo
3rd September 2007, 12:13 PM
Guys...Has THOR gone bust.....??????
The reason i`m asking is becouse everytime i try to ring them,The bloody phone is on answer machine....I have left my details for them to return my call.....And,I may as well be waiting for the Titanic to re-float.....
I wanted to know if thay have a new supply of the speed de-limiters + kms-Mmph converters yet........PERHAPS WE NEED TO LOOK ELSEWHERE AT OTHER EXAMPLES if we are being ignored......??????

UltraFlynn
3rd September 2007, 12:16 PM
I havn't heard anything to that effect.

kevo
3rd September 2007, 12:19 PM
YES,YES,YES.....I managed to speak to someone just now......Not available yet......So may have to look elsewhere......Anyone know any others that are as good as the thor type....I`m wanting to de-limit the restrictor + Convert from KMS to MPH Please.....?????

Mike_Mac
3rd September 2007, 12:51 PM
YES,YES,YES.....I managed to speak to someone just now......Not available yet......So may have to look elsewhere......Anyone know any others that are as good as the thor type....I`m wanting to de-limit the restrictor + Convert from KMS to MPH Please.....?????

Sorry Kev, but it looks like we're floating in the same boat on this one! I've had similar problems getting through and sent an E-Mail yesterday, so I'll probably have the good news waiting for me when I get home.

I've been doing some digging and there isn't really many other options to de-limit and convert. Ward1955 posted a link to some SVA approved converters in my DSC wanted thread, but I've done some digging and unfortunately it's of the type that attaches to the speed signal wire immediately next to the gearbox, not at the dash. This isn't too good because it changes the speed signal at source, which then throws out all the functions further down the chain that require a 1:1 speed signal to work correctly (Progressive Power Steering, Active Spoiler, Cruise etc). If I'm wrong about that then please let me know.

I'll keep digging and If I find anything out i'll let you know (if you could do the same?). One option I'm going to try is to source one from a breakers. There has to be a few working converters knocking about in a knocked about J-Spec Supra!

EDIT: No there doesn't seem to be any in Scrappies - Bu**er!

Mike_Mac
3rd September 2007, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=kevo;94266]YES,YES,YES.....I managed to speak to someone just now......Not available yet......QUOTE]

Kev,

Did they say when they'd be making more?

kevo
3rd September 2007, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=kevo;94266]YES,YES,YES.....I managed to speak to someone just now......Not available yet......QUOTE]

Kev,

Did they say when they'd be making more?

Yeh-Mike....Thay said perhaps around end of month...But,It sounded to me more like sometime next month........??????

Do you know if the ones from Import solutions are any good.....?????:cowboy:

kevo
3rd September 2007, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=Mike_Mac;94288]

Yeh-Mike....Thay said perhaps around end of month...But,It sounded to me more like sometime next month........??????

Do you know if the ones from Import solutions are any good.....?????:cowboy:

I`m going to enquire at import solutions tomorrow...I`ll let you know the outcome.....
I`m going to be asking wether there`s takes its signal from the Gearbox speed signal or not......A mate has one of these fitted for 5 years and to date not had any problems whatsoever.....?????

Keep an eye on this thread mike........:doh:

Martin F
3rd September 2007, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=kevo;94301]

I`m going to be asking wether there`s takes its signal from the Gearbox speed signal or not......

Errrr all speedo converters take their signal from the gearbox speed signal, what other signal could you use?

The specific thing about the Thor units, is they actually buffer and make available the original signal to feed the accessories which shouldn't have a divided signal. In theory you could change the wiring around to feed the original signal to the accessories as well as the speedo converter, but this will only work if the speedo converter has a high impedance input.

That aside, you will still have your speed limit as the Thor DSC+TSD actually cap's the 1:1 signal. You'd need a SLD as well as a Speedo converter to overcome this, and they both need to have high impedance inputs so as not to drag the signal down.

kevo
4th September 2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for correcting me on this again.....I was going by Mike`s reply(Sorry mike):-Quote-

I've been doing some digging and there isn't really many other options to de-limit and convert. Ward1955 posted a link to some SVA approved converters in my DSC wanted thread, but I've done some digging and it's of the type that attaches to the gearbox mounted speed signal wire. This isn't too good because it'll throw off all the functions that require a true speed signal to work correctly (Progressive Power Steering, Active Spoiler, Cruise etc). If I'm wrong about that then please let me know.

And took it,It was wrong....You have got to bear in mind i`m a complete novice to the Supra yet......And,The scoobies ect that i see more off...Are a simple Bolt-in-line reduction gear...(Or the ones i have seen so-far anyway)....Its like riding a bike...I`ll fall off a couple of times ....But,Give me time.....And i`ll be on the tour-de-france.....Ha,Ha,Ha.....:flip:

kevo
4th September 2007, 10:05 AM
MARTIN.....Do you know if the TSD+KLM to MPH item from Import solutions are any good mate....??????

I`m hoping to get my supra all sorted and with me within the next 2 weeks...And,I may as well get the Cat1 alarm fitted at the same time as the above item to save removing the dash again.....The guys at thor said around the end of the month...But,Honestly by the sound of things it will be a little time after that......??????
Thank you......

UltraFlynn
4th September 2007, 10:53 AM
I'd wait and get the Thor item if they are going to make some more.

Martin F
4th September 2007, 11:08 AM
MARTIN.....Do you know if the TSD+KLM to MPH item from Import solutions are any good mate....??????

Sorry I don't know anything about them. It's not always a case of whether the converter is any good or not but more so how it has been wired in, ie. not sending a converted signal to the ECU\PS\Active Spoiler etc.

Mike_Mac
4th September 2007, 11:28 AM
I'm looking into an internet sourced converter re those questions too, but can't remember which one it is as I'm at work just now.

Apologies for confusion from my previous post - I'll amend it just so it's not ambiguous. :)

I've also just spoken to the (very) new receptionist at Thor (finally an answer on the phone! :dance:) who will get back to me on exactly when the DSC-TSD will be back in production. I would much, much rather go with this proven unit that I am confident in installing, than an E-Bay one, but maybe that's just me being snobby:flip: :D

I'll post an update when I know.

kevo
4th September 2007, 01:16 PM
Apologies for confusion from my previous post - I'll amend it just so it's not ambiguous.

No not at all Mike....Thanks for your imput......

can anyone please tell me if the thor one also keeps the correct weighted steering at speed.....(I read somewhere about the power steering being too light at speed).....?????

Martin F
4th September 2007, 01:30 PM
can anyone please tell me if the thor one also keeps the correct weighted steering at speed.....(I read somewhere about the power steering being too light at speed).....?????

Yes it does, as long as it's wired as per their instructions.

kevo
4th September 2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks Martin......Looks like I`ll be waiting also then......Cheers Guys..:D

Mike_Mac
4th September 2007, 07:29 PM
OK the E-Bay one fel throguh, as they couldn't/wouldn't answer my question on where it's installed and how it alters the signal.

I also had a call from Thor to say that Pete will be making up a batch soon, but can't confirm exactly when. I have asked them to call me when they do and I will pass it on.

Until then I can make my car do 180... :twisted:

On a Runway... ;)

In km! :o

:D

UltraFlynn
4th September 2007, 09:01 PM
It's better to get the right thing installed if you can rather than take a chance. I went through the same process last year and had a crappy speedo converter removed and a delimiter. Then had the Thor unit installed. (All by Martin F I might point out)

kevo
5th September 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Guys.....Yes,..I`m with you on this one....I may as well wait a little longer and fit the real deal......Thanks again.....Kevo

THOR Racing
5th September 2007, 07:10 PM
Sorry to all for the lack of response.
I have been trying to get someone in reception for ages, the previous person rather let me down (but I don't need to go it to details)
I now have someone on reception Tue to Fri and I'll try to man it on Mondays.

Regarding the DSC+TSD I have had a heck of a time setting up a second workshop which meant I could not afford to get any more made. Hopefully September will see the second workshop up and running and a little more time for me to devote to the things I enjoyed, like making stuff for cars.

Email contact is easier but I'm working on better response times.

Regards
Pete