View Full Version : Limited slip diff oils....?????

kevo
4th September 2007, 06:25 PM
Guys.....I`m getting all the oils ready for when my car arrives......
I already have a genuine oil filter,
2 x tins of V160 oil for the gearbox,
I have ordered 5lts of Millers 5W/40 synthetic engine oil,

I also have 2 x ltrs of 80/90 Limited Slip oil for the diff....BUT...Its COMMA brand....??????

Is this oil adequate for use in the Supra...Becouse mine has the limited slip diff according to the plate on the inner wing panel......

I always thought Comma ...Years ago anyway....Was inferior to some makes...But apparently,Thay are owned by one of the big guys now....?????

Cheers....Kev.

Martin F
4th September 2007, 06:35 PM
I believe Comma are not too bad, and tend to be used as run of the mill stuff in the trade.

Obviously doesn't have as much kudos as something like Mobil 1 or Castrol, so if you're brand poser then you're a bit stuffed. But the most important thing of doing the job, i'm sure it will be up to.

However somebody who knows more about oils may know differently.

kevo
4th September 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks Martin.....Brilliant.....Kevo.

kevo
4th September 2007, 07:08 PM
I have done some investigation ...And,It would appear EXXON MOBIL owns COMMA OILS....

http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=293

So maybe not so bad afterall.....Kevo.

Mad Cas
7th September 2007, 11:00 AM
Comma is a good known brand, it doesn't have to be millers/redline/76/opie to do its job effectively. Its probably all made in the same refinery anyway.

Regular oil changes with a decent enough branded oil (Comma does nicely) is better than putting something really expensive and then not changing it for ages because its so goddamn expensive!

hadyn
7th September 2007, 06:57 PM
I used Lucas 75/90 gear oil when I changed the oil on my LSD. No issues after a year and car is fine:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=47&catid=2&loc=show

Needed under 2 litres to do the job :)

Gambit
7th September 2007, 07:02 PM
Small :hijacked: should the fuel filter be changed, how often and what's the pluses of doing it.

hadyn
7th September 2007, 07:03 PM
Fuel filter should be changed every 50k. Is definately recommended if you intend to up your boost and need to uprate your fuelling accordingly.
A clogged fuel filter can cause problems...