PDA

View Full Version : Anti-freeze

V
24th October 2007, 08:12 AM
I've got the pink Toyota stuff in there at the mo.

Is it any better than any other (branded or not?)

It's down to -15 degrees, but i belive recommended to go to -30 (wind chill factor i assume), not that i'm planning to drive it when its that cold, but i bet it would great :D

So, should i just top up with the Toyota stuff, or flush out and use A.N.Other?

Oh, and does the amount of anit-freeze have a bearing on its cooling ability?
ie is the coolant as good a coolant as water?
If not am i best to leave it as it is at -15.

Many thanks
Stephen

V
24th October 2007, 01:06 PM
Apparently mines got the long life stuff.
Red is the normal stuff.

Pink £39.83 5L !!!
Red £22.43 5L

suprarob
24th October 2007, 01:32 PM
I only thought toyota did 2 types of coolant one red and one green ?

The red is for the supra

I would only use the toyota red stuff myself

V
24th October 2007, 04:44 PM
Apparently the Pink one hasnt been in the UK very long.

Martin F
24th October 2007, 04:44 PM
I only thought toyota did 2 types of coolant one red and one green ?

I thought that too.

Is it any better than any other (branded or not?)

Oh, and does the amount of anit-freeze have a bearing on its cooling ability?
ie is the coolant as good a coolant as water?

The red Toyota coolant has some lubricant in it for the water pump, also I believe it is a blend of Forlife type which will turn colour if any exhaust gases are present in the coolant, however i've never actually had that confirmed.

No coolant is as good a conductor of heat as water, but with the addition of inhibitors, lower freezing point and lubricants then you should be using the recommended coolant.

To offset this lack of thermal conduction I actually mix my coolant (the ready mixed red stuff from Toyota) with 50% distilled water and also add a bottle of water wetter. It will give me better conduction at the sacrifice of a higher freezing point, but my car is garaged and hardly goes out in winter.

V
24th October 2007, 04:58 PM
Mines garaged as well (or at least wheni get the rest of the kitchen in!) and dont plan on driving it out on really cold days, so i'll leave as is i think for the mo. -15 shoul dbe adequate.

Cheers

Tricky-Ricky
15th November 2007, 01:28 AM
I flushed the red, well brown and cruddy stuff out of my system, think it had been in far to long, i now use just a good brand proprietary antifreeze, rather than pay silly money for stuff that claims to have all sorts of properties, and costs three times as much for ready diluted,
I have to say martin, where did the lubricant for the water pump come from? your talking about a sealed bearing that you want to have no contact with water even if it had oil in it.

Martin F
15th November 2007, 09:49 AM
I have to say martin, where did the lubricant for the water pump come from? your talking about a sealed bearing that you want to have no contact with water even if it had oil in it.

It comes from years of Supra enthusiasm, also Speak to Pete Betts ;)

But to answer the question, it's not the shaft bearings that are of concern, as these should never come into contact with water, but the rotor\impeller blades on the edges. Lubricate these purely with water and it won't be a lot of cop and will cause wear and heat, but use a proper lubricant and life should be extended and heat\wear reduced.

No doubt some aftermarket anti-freezes have a lubricant in them as well, but it needs to be researched and IMO it's just not worth the hassle and un-certainty and better of sticking with Toyota's fluid for this one.

dunk shaw
15th November 2007, 09:56 AM
Well Halfords antifreeze isnt much cheaper and cant see the point in messing with something that does its job.

My cars had coolred in it since the day it was built with no probs so why risk changing it to save £5 !!

Tricky-Ricky
16th November 2007, 01:10 AM
Any eventual wear on water pump blades is caused by cavitation, which affects a lot of fluid type pumps, i really can't see any additive making any difference, most water pumps fail due to bearings, as the seal wears and fails first.
And when it comes to antifreeze, i would rather buy Comma from my local motor factor for £12 for 5lt, and run a 30-40% solution, than buy at Halfords prices.
It always amazes me that people staunchly advocate "genuine" stuff without really knowing why, other than folk law,
Has anyone got a ingredient list for the Toyota stuff that actually says it has XYZ additives that other antifreeze hasn't,
a Supra engine is no different to any other, its just manufacturer marketing to sell their brand fluids.

Martin F
16th November 2007, 10:22 AM
Any eventual wear on water pump blades is caused by cavitation, which affects a lot of fluid type pumps,

They never fail due to corrosion or contamination then?

And when it comes to antifreeze, i would rather buy Comma from my local motor factor for £12 for 5lt, and run a 30-40% solution, than buy at Halfords prices.

IIRC the Toyota coolant is only about £16 for 5lt and then 5lts of de-ionised water (about £3), this i then mix at 50/50 which is suitable for my requirements (final mixture is less than 50/50 due to Toyota coolant being pre-mixed). So for an extra £7 I have a little more peace of mind based on knowledge of failures collected over the years.

It always amazes me that people staunchly advocate "genuine" stuff without really knowing why, other than folk law,

Agreed, but in this case there has been past cases where peoples' water pumps have failed after going to an aftermarket coolant. Admittedly 'aftermarket coolant' is a very loose term due to the variety of different brands and mixes available, so maybe one out there is suitable.

Has anyone got a ingredient list for the Toyota stuff that actually says it has XYZ additives that other antifreeze hasn't,
a Supra engine is no different to any other, its just manufacturer marketing to sell their brand fluids.

Conversely, because nobody has this information to hand, nobody knows if there is something in the aftermarket coolant mixes, which a component in our engines doesn't like.

It would be good to keep a log of people whose water pumps have failed vs. coolant used to see how categoric the issue is. But until that time i'll spend that little bit extra and stay safe basing my decision on experience picked up over many years listening to other peoples failures and the fact that my own pump has not failed (well that's blown it !)

dunk shaw
16th November 2007, 11:48 AM

Toyota coolred is £14.35 for 5 litres so hardly a major saving and i see no point in changing and i for one wont.
Each to there own though so make your own call on what you use !

Tricky-Ricky
16th November 2007, 12:57 PM
They never fail due to corrosion or contamination then?

Don't mean to be pedantic, but anyway,
i don't say that, failure due to corrosion, and contamination is usually down to user error! to low a ratio, or lack of corrosion inhibitor, £1 shop antifreeze.

IIRC the Toyota coolant is only about £16 for 5lt and then 5lts of de-ionised water (about £3), this i then mix at 50/50 which is suitable for my requirements (final mixture is less than 50/50 due to Toyota coolant being pre-mixed). So for an extra £7 I have a little more peace of mind based on knowledge of failures collected over the years.

Maybe i have it wrong, but last time i checked, Toyota red for life was a pre mixed and cost £20+ for five Lt,
and if you dilute it further to make the 9lt that the Supra holds then you end up with a 25% solution or less, which is not enough.

Agreed, but in this case there has been past cases where peoples' water pumps have failed after going to an aftermarket coolant. Admittedly 'aftermarket coolant' is a very loose term due to the variety of different brands and mixes available, so maybe one out there is suitable.

As i said above.

Conversely, because nobody has this information to hand, nobody knows if there is something in the aftermarket coolant mixes, which a component in our engines doesn't like.

Most decent antifreeze have the ingredients listed,unlike the Toyota stuff, and as for Supra engines not liking ingredients, as i said unless the Supra engine has some exotic metal hidden somewhere in its depths, which causes some forms of electrolysis's, which in turn erodes the other metals, then I'm sorry but i cannot agree with that statement

It would be good to keep a log of people whose water pumps have failed vs. coolant used to see how categoric the issue is. But until that time i'll spend that little bit extra and stay safe basing my decision on experience picked up over many years listening to other peoples failures and the fact that my own pump has not failed (well that's blown it !)

LOL so i will expect full documentation next week then, i will add that i have had mt Supra close to two years, and one of the first things i did was to flush the coolant system, and as i mentioned i could not believe the amount of crud that came out of it, and that was the red for life stuff, so that kind of put me off, i have since flushed my system a couple of times, and it has been Cristal clear (well with a blue tint) i also did the same with past cars, Nissan's, and met the same reaction to not putting Nissan's own brand in for the same reasons, which kind of says something to me

PS There is a distinct lack of smilies on here, as you don't have the right ones:)

Angry Koala
16th November 2007, 02:03 PM
hmmm, close to 2 years Tricky?!?! Wow! That's like forever! :)

Damn you Martin F and Dunk with your 20 years + ownership and experience between you...... You've been making it up all this time!! I'm not listening to you 2 again and getting you to get me cheap deals on genuine parts and lubricants! I'm off down Halfords to take advice from the spotty 15 yr old single mother on the till who thinks a Corsa SXi is a performance car.......

She can sell me some cheap coolant and while she's at it I'll take a set of TSW Venoms, some Ripspeed n eons and a Rage bolt-on exhaust!

suprarob
16th November 2007, 02:15 PM
She can sell me some cheap coolant and while she's at it I'll take a set of TSW Venoms, some Ripspeed n eons and a Rage bolt-on exhaust!

Please can we have a mod ban angry koala for use of the 'n' word :eek:

and also, can we have 'Ripspeed' as a banned word too :D

Angry Koala
16th November 2007, 02:34 PM
Please can we have a mod ban angry koala for use of the 'n' word :eek:

and also, can we have 'Ripspeed' as a banned word too :D

that'll be why it came up as ***** without the space then! sorry - didn't realise! and if I get banned for n**** what happens if I say blue LED windscreen washers and matching flashing valve caps?! pmsl

suprarob
16th November 2007, 02:50 PM
what happens if I say blue LED windscreen washers and matching flashing valve caps?! pmsl

shocking !!!!!

stone him
stone him
stone him

:tongue2:

Tricky-Ricky
16th November 2007, 04:43 PM
hmmm, close to 2 years Tricky?!?! Wow! That's like forever! :)

Damn you Martin F and Dunk with your 20 years + ownership and experience between you...... You've been making it up all this time!! I'm not listening to you 2 again and getting you to get me cheap deals on genuine parts and lubricants! I'm off down Halfords to take advice from the spotty 15 yr old single mother on the till who thinks a Corsa SXi is a performance car.......

Oh FFS do grow up! we are trying to have an adult discussion.

dunk shaw
16th November 2007, 06:46 PM

:D

dunk shaw
16th November 2007, 06:47 PM
shocking !!!!!

stone him
stone him
stone him

:tongue2:

Monty Python style :D

dunk shaw
16th November 2007, 06:50 PM
[COLOR="white"] i could not believe the amount of crud that came out of it, and that was the red for life stuff, so that kind of put me off, i have since flushed my system a couple of times, and it has been Cristal clear

PS There is a distinct lack of smilies on here, as you don't have the right ones:)

Flushed mine twice and no crud so who knows whats best !! :argue::moon::nos::spanish:

cossack
18th November 2007, 03:06 AM
used red for the last nine years (in the same car) and the inside is as clean as the day it rolled out of japsville, a friend of mine recommended it as he used it in his hotrods and was amazed at how cool the engine run even under extreme racing.