View Full Version : Hello All

supra_si
1st March 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi all im back on the supra lookout as i got told to get some turbo experience before looking to insure a TT. so went away and have gotten a 1.8t for now. looking to part ex it now for a TT that ive been drooling over for some time.

Im 26 going to have 6 1/2 yrs NCD when i part ex.

fingers crossed it wont let me down buying an older car.

also are TT's suitable for everday commuting??

Barney
2nd March 2008, 10:38 AM
A well maintained Supra will handle most types of driving you require of it, comuting included. You won't be getting a great deal of shopping in it nor will your back seat passengers be very comfortable, if indeed you can fit them in in the first place. Petrol costs need to be considered regarding everyday comuting, it will soon add up if you cover a fair few miles per week.

I would advise getting a few insurance quotes before looking at cars, try the Club insurers Livingstones, see here:

http://83.245.34.203/forums/showthread.php?t=4773&highlight=livingstones

As with all Toyota's they are generally very reliable but bear in mind they are getting on a bit now so things will wear out. I would encourage you to buy a well maintained car for this and other obvious reasons.

Try and buy with your head not your heart (easier said than done I know!) and please do ask questions here, always happy to help if we can.

Good luck in your search, keep us posted.

Gambit
2nd March 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi supra_si

Nice post Barney.

Barney
2nd March 2008, 11:50 AM
Nice post Barney.

Why thank you kind Sir:coolpeek:

hadyn
2nd March 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi mate,

My Supra has done 130k+ miles now and never misses a beat. I use it for daily commuting doing about 200+ miles a week. Its nearly 15 years old and soaks up this style of driving well. Only downside is the high insurance cost and circa 50-60 quid a week in petrol, which can affect your quality of life financially.

Gambit
2nd March 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi mate,

My Supra has done 130k+ miles now and never misses a beat. I use it for daily commuting doing about 200+ miles a week. Its nearly 15 years old and soaks up this style of driving well. Only downside is the high insurance cost and circa 50-60 quid a week in petrol, which can affect your quality of life financially.

But it's fun isn't it.
I use mine as a daily drive and I just don't want to drive a normal car again, every time you turn a bend you think "no body roll" and every time you put your foot down you think "oh yes".

Guyver
3rd March 2008, 06:52 PM
But it's fun isn't it.
I use mine as a daily drive and I just don't want to drive a normal car again, every time you turn a bend you think "no body roll" and every time you put your foot down you think "oh yes".

I'll second that.

The Restorer
3rd March 2008, 11:44 PM
Used mine as a daily drive too. The auto box was a treat in traffic and you feel so smug driving it as well, with everyone else in their lemon (common) cars.

supra_si
4th March 2008, 04:09 AM
ahh right thanks. im off to view with intent to buy on weds on a TT rz.

What tax band do these fall in now?

Basically its my dream to own one even if it is for a short spell but at this moment in time i can afford to own one b4 any kids etc come along and drain the bank.

The Restorer
4th March 2008, 06:40 PM
Tax band is the £180 jobby. They're pre-2001 so tax ain't based on emissions.

supra_si
4th March 2008, 11:11 PM
ahh nice one thanks. cheaper than my current vrs on tax then.

got an awesome insurance quote for me n the mrs 540 fully comp on a 95 TT

hadyn
5th March 2008, 08:12 PM
Awesome quote mate. Im 28 and paying 800 odd quid a year 3rd party protected no claims

Gambit
5th March 2008, 09:35 PM
Awesome quote mate. Im 28 and paying 800 odd quid a year 3rd party protected no claims

Robbed!

hadyn
5th March 2008, 09:45 PM
Might be the fact I live in Wolverhampton or something? That was probably the best quote I could get when I shopped around.

supra_si
8th March 2008, 08:44 AM
how easy is it to convert kph to mph? all the supes ive seen are still in kph

Martin F
8th March 2008, 09:03 AM
Very easy, but it's one of the conversions that a lot of importers *uck up!

Do a search on here for speedo converters, should bring up quite a bit of info.

supra_si
8th March 2008, 11:56 AM
thanks martin. good to know.

looking at a gz on tuesday. i think it still reads in kph. got 88k km on it

supra_si
11th March 2008, 09:21 PM
well i bowed and bought the GZ awesome looking motor and at top spec plus cruise control etc. was too good a buy to miss out on.

Martin F
11th March 2008, 09:30 PM
Congratulations ! Do you have the Supra smile?

So where's the pics? :tongue2:

supra_si
12th March 2008, 03:40 AM
the supra smile. do i ever. the mrs isnt too keen on it tho. although she loved the pics i showed her beofre i went and bought it. she dished out some guilt trip tonight saying why did i pay for an older car.
she just doesnt get it.http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/si706/DSC02055.jpg

ive got the panels to cover the sides of the spoliers but i need the pins to hold them in. do you know where i can get them?

Guyver
12th March 2008, 07:58 AM
Looking very nice there mate.
Can't help with the pins but I also got the same grief 'you could of got a newer car for that money' ,you're right they don't understand.

Barney
12th March 2008, 12:47 PM
Great news Si, enjoy it but please take the time to get to know the car as we don't want to hear of any nasty mishaps in the first few months of ownership;)

Look forward to meeting you and seeing the car at a meet or show.

supra_si
12th March 2008, 01:55 PM
thanks guys and yeh barney im being extra careful at the moment. although ive noticed more ppl gettin up my arse that i used to. im like "whatever fella im driving the supra, no need to race ya to prove what ive got".
pisses em off even more lol

supra_si
12th March 2008, 01:59 PM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/si706/Photo-0037.jpg

love this angle lol

suprarob
12th March 2008, 02:36 PM
Nice car :)

After you have parked up, do you look back at it as you walk away ;)

Guyver
12th March 2008, 06:07 PM
After you have parked up, do you look back at it as you walk away ;)

Rob that's just sad although must admit that's what I'm doing now with the new wheels on.
Where's my coat.....;)

supra_si
12th March 2008, 08:36 PM
haha yeh i keep admiring it. those curves are delightful on it

The Restorer
12th March 2008, 08:44 PM
you mention the wife giving you grief even after you told her. A colleague of mine who has wife and kids one day decided to pop into the BMW garage on his own and bought himself a Mini Cooper S there and then! His Mrs wasn't too happy when he got home and had to go back to the garage and swap it for something more sensible. I couldn't believe what he'd done when he told me.

supra_si
12th March 2008, 11:08 PM
not the wife yet. but fiance. she wanted to know why i paid a grand on top of my octavia for the supra. basically cos its a much better car ... she didnt take well to that but its the car ive always wanted and i get what i want. she knows what im like and will come round with time.
i gave her plenty of notice i was in the market to buy one she was just stunned i got one.