PDA

View Full Version : Thor race engineering

THOR Racing
6th September 2003, 06:34 PM
THOR Race Engineering Ltd have a 1600BHP (4400ft/lb) 4WD chassis dynamometer and now I'm going to explain a little more about what it can do, our services, prices and dispell a few myths.

The Dyno measures....

TORQUE at the wheel hubs,

Calculates the POWER at the hubs,

manifold PRESSURE ,

air inlet TEMPERATURE (depending on where you put the probe, could be air filter, intercooler, radiator etc etc)

AIR FUEL RATIO (or Lambda) with a Bosch LSU wideband O2 sensor.

You get all this in just a power run

Fees are as follows....

Fixed fee Dyno Run (?60), you get max of 6 consecutive runs.

Dyno tuning/diagnostic work (?100/hr)

All Mechanical and Electrical labour (?40/hr)

Paid up club members get 10% off all labour and dyno rates (not parts! and not at shows.)

Club bookings get 15%

We have a 3000sq ft warehouse for mechanical modifications and electrical equipment installation.
We can fit anything from exhausts, air filters to CAMs and engines.
We can also fit any electrical tuning gadget, APEXi, HKS, Blitz etc including full replacement engine management units. These can all be programmed using the precision of our Chassis Dynamometer (1600BHP and 4400ft/lb torque).

Finally we are based in North Coventry and hope to see some more Supras http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

So how is a power run performed ?
1st we select the nearest gear to a 1:1 ratio as possible.
For most manual cars the top gear is an overdrive gear and thus the previous one is normally the 1:1 drive (so 5th for a 6 speed and 3rd for a 4 speed).
For auto's I hold them in Drive "D". On the Supra it's easy as we can use the Manual mode to hold the gears.
Most other makes of auto are terrible, the power runs are flipping hard to get anything sensible out of as they keep changing gear all the time.

We then take a steady control run at 2000rpm to synchronise the Dyno RPM to the car RPM. i.e. work out the rear differential gear ratio if it's unknown. Normally somewhere between 3.8 and 4.2 for most cars.

We can make a power run over any RPM range we like. Normally I choose to start the runs at 2000rpm and end at beginning of red line or 500rpm before. So say 6500 or 7000rpm etc.
I always ask the owner first if they have a preference. Normally THEY say just "drive it like you stole it".

The runs aren't the same as you get on the road as I also program in how long the power run should take.
I could do a run over 100s if I wanted for example. Normally I choose 8s
There is a settling period of 4s before the run begins (again I choose this)

So it's a controlled power run and if I set 4000rpm to be your maximum RPM for the run no matter what you or I do it will NOT go above that.
So if you aren't happy to hit the rev limiter (which I prefer not to) then I can set this 500rpm below. (or whatvever)
Most cars have aleady reached their max power before rev limiter anyway. So no point.

We NEVER give you a printout for Flywheel power and ALWAYS give a figure at the wheels.
That way you CAN compare a manual Supra with an auto one.

If people ask I always use the stock answer of 20% and explain we are not prepared to argue about flywheel power and it's just a guess.

Regards
Pete
for and on behlaf of THOR Race Engineering Ltd

THOR Racing
1st October 2003, 07:15 AM
Check out the new website.

www.thor-racing.com (http://www.thor-racing.com)

Regards
Pete

Suprash
5th October 2003, 02:22 AM
Quote[/b] (THOR Race Engineering @ Sep. 06 2003,19:34)]We NEVER give you a printout for Flywheel power and ALWAYS give a figure at the wheels.
That way you CAN compare a manual Supra with an auto one.

If people ask I always use the stock answer of 20% and explain we are not prepared to argue about flywheel power and it's just a guess.
Ok, dumb question, you say flywheel power, would that have any difference between stock and lightened flywheel.....

Or is it just the time of the morning..... http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Martin F
5th October 2003, 11:42 AM
Quote[/b] (Ashley Willis @ Oct. 05 2003,03:22)]Ok, dumb question, you say flywheel power, would that have any difference between stock and lightened flywheel.....
It would make no odds whether you had a lightened flywheel or not, as Pete's just saying its so hard to calculate drivetrain loss accurately to give a flywheel figure (however that flywheel may be made).

In theory if you have a lightened flywheel you should see more power (and a difference in torque) due to a smaller rotating mass. This change in power would be seen at the hubs as well as wheels or flywheel.

Now there's an interesting run to do, power before and after fitting a lightened flywheel. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Wonder how it would effect the torque curve.

Suprash
6th October 2003, 01:46 AM
Should have really done a RR day a long time ago....... http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/down.gif