PDA

View Full Version : Stiffer anti-roll bars

Martin F
16th November 2003, 11:22 PM
I was thinking about these earlier and wondering do they all actually work better than stock ones. There must come a point that the anti-roll bar could be so stiff that it could keep an unladen wheel off the road, and as we all know a wheel that is not in contact with the surface is not good (unless you're auditioning for Dukes of Hazard!!)

For example if you're going round a right hand corner, its the left hand wheels of your car that get loaded up with the weight of the car, so if the left hand end of the anti-roll bar is being pushed upwards (due to suspension compressing), surely the right hand end will try to follow. Obviously the anti-roll bar would have to be pretty heavily sprung to overcame the forces of the suspension strut on the right hand side but surely with these 'stiffer' anti-roll bars this is a possibility.

Anybody have these stiffer anti-roll bars fitted ?

wez
17th November 2003, 09:44 AM
Hello Marin,

I am also looking into this at the moment as a recent trackday proved that my car does have some handling issues that need addressing.

Would like to hear what Chris Wilson has to say on this.

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Nathan
17th November 2003, 11:10 AM
FWIW, it's very rare for us to fit them here. Marks first Mk4, (the big single TRD-kitted car) had them and he reported that the overall handling was significantly better than the stock UK car but they were fitted at the same time as the TRD shocks and springs so a direct comparison is difficult. That said, the suspension options available back then (96/97) were few and far between. Nowadays, the options we have used a lot of (HKS Hiper Dampers and Tein Flex kits) make such a massive difference to the Mk4's capabilities that we simply haven't looked further into the handling side. I have driven cars equipped with both and was gobsmaked at how much better the stock car could be made. It may well be that adding rollbars could make it even better but I guess what I'm trying to say is that uprated rollbars are no substitute for a well-sorted spring and damper package. Would love to try some uprated bars with either of the kits above, although I think it would only really be noticeable on track. I know that I managed to scare myself at the increased high-speed cornering stability carried with just the shocks and springs, let alone bars!

Cheers

alex h
17th November 2003, 10:16 PM
Ditto that - every thing I've ever read has said that the anti-roll bars are a bit of a additional control - but are no substitute to the proper shocks etc being fitted. There is a kit by JIC Magic which is highly rated and I believe they made too many and they are reduced from their original ?1800 price. Tis alot but I understand they are a good bit of kit.

wez
17th November 2003, 11:51 PM
So cmon on then guys whats the recommended dampers/springs for a sup with trackdays in mind.

I thought CW had his own setup as well?

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

alex h
19th November 2003, 06:15 PM
Ideal?!! how much do you want to spend? http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

FWIW, Ian C has Ohlins suspension and though pricey it really does ride well, despite being so highly sprung. It does mainly depend on how much you want to spend and how far you want to lean towards track set up. As the further you go towards a track setup the less compliant and comfortable it will be on British Roads.

chiefgroover
3rd March 2004, 11:54 PM
www.stillen.com have MKiv Anti roll bars on special offer to clear. I have no experience of them, maybe one of you guys would like to test them :-)
The only Vehicle i ever fitted uprated bars to was a S13 200sx, nismo bars and bushes, the front bar made little difference but the rear was a gem.