PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil

Budda
27th April 2004, 09:06 AM
Good morrow one and all. Can any body recommend a decent oil for my gearbox?

Martin F
27th April 2004, 09:36 AM
Remind us is yours an auto or manual (6 or 5 speed)?

Budda
27th April 2004, 02:47 PM
Doh! Fair point. Tis manual six speed.

Martin F
27th April 2004, 02:50 PM
In that case I would stick with recommending the Toyota specific V160 oil.

There has been a lot of chat about this over the years and the summary seems to be that the Toyota oil is safest. Its not the cheapest but then a new manual box at about ?4k is not cheap.

chiefgroover
3rd June 2004, 09:33 PM
I had tried Castrol syntrax (I think thats its name), and was very glad to get back to the V160 Toyota oil, the only one recommended by Getrag. I suggest you read the gear oil feature in www.mkiv.com. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

alex h
4th June 2004, 10:16 AM
And incase you need a 3rd opinion.
V160 ONLY!!!

Martin F
4th June 2004, 10:50 AM
Just to complicate things, i actually used Royal Purple Synchro Max in my car. Was recommended by a respectable Supra owner in the US who road races a lot. He has been using it for a few years and has had no problems, neither did i for the short time the car was on the road after using.

But all in all the safest bet is Toyota V160 oil.

1st July 2004, 02:36 PM
Just remeber to use anything but Redline . They ahve a seal swelling agent (or so we think) that damages the DU bushing in the Getrag 6er .

Toyota oil is made by Esso , and is a D2 ATF equiv from what ive found out . There is a Castrol here that you guys may have in the UK that has seen some time ion the Getrag with great results , and its called Castrol Transmax Z .

Chris Wilson
5th July 2004, 09:01 PM
What is a "DU" bushing?