PDA

View Full Version : Diff problems

streetcar
12th June 2004, 11:15 AM
I have a 95 uk spec twin turbo, i have encountered a problem with he diff, as only having purchased the car recently i was not aware of the problem that the diff oil cooler gives, unfortunatly it started to leak unawares to me, and this led to the diff seizing.

I got a second hand diff out of a jap inport i knew it didnt have an oil cooler on it but thought it would still fit ok, but i have now realised that the prop shaft is to short in my car, if i was to get a shaft out of a jap car would this do my job or would i be safer rebulding my own diff and getting a new oil cooler.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Martin F
12th June 2004, 11:51 AM
http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/welcome.gif

Good to see another UK spec owner on board.

Indeed the prop is shorter on a Jap spec car, something i only found out recently. You could solve your problem by just finding a Jap spec prop, which probably won't be too hard.

However if it was me i think i'd want the UK diff rebuilt and the added safety of the oil cooler etc. I'm not sure whether you can use any of the parts from your Jap diff to help in the rebuild of your UK diff. Somebody who's experienced with these may be able to chime in.

streetcar
12th June 2004, 01:05 PM
The diff only cost me ?250 and the boy will take it back, or he will give me a prop shaft at no extra cost. But am not sure wot to do as people have told me that the jap diff is different ratios an will put extra pressure on my gearbox, dont know how true this is?

Anyone know how much a new oil cooler unit would be of toyota?

Will it be expensive to rebuild the diff?

I am from N.ireland and ther are no real experts in these sort of cars. we live in the dark ages out here http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Martin F
12th June 2004, 01:19 PM
Yep the diff ratio is different between a Jap spec and Uk spec car (3.266 vs 3.133) which would have a small effect on your acceleration and top end. Also its important that you have the correct diff for an auto vs manual car as again the ratios are different.

Take a look here for a bit more info SPECS (http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm)

A new oil cooler unit is about ?120 i think.

Not sure on re-build costs, but its defenitely one of them things you want done right first time, rather than trying to save money.

If you PM Chris Wilson on this forum he should be able to give you an idea on rebuild costs.

suprarich
15th June 2004, 10:17 AM
Martin,

What do you think of the TRD Diff's? Are they worth getting it your old one is knackered??

Rich http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/buttrock.gif

Martin F
15th June 2004, 08:52 PM
I don't know too much about the TRD diff in all honesty, but from what i have read they would not be as suited to road use as the stock Torsen unit.

streetcar
16th June 2004, 02:30 PM
think i have found out the difference in a uk diff and a jap diff, is it true that the jap diff is a normal viscous diff and all the uk models come with a torsen diff, this would account for the difference in size in the two units??

Syed Shah
16th June 2004, 02:38 PM
All UKs are torsen, AFAIK, but the j-specs did not all have a LSD, which accounts for the difference.

Martin F
16th June 2004, 02:45 PM
Quote[/b] (Syed Shah @ June 16 2004,15:38)]All UKs are torsen, AFAIK
Yep defenitely, as it was standard equipment.

streetcar
16th June 2004, 03:33 PM
In that case looks like i need a diff out of a uk car after all, the jap one will just not fit! could change the prop shaft but dont think the drive shafts will fit either as the jap diff is a good bit narrower than the torsen diff.

Does anyone know where i can get a diff out of a uk car?checked all the breakers in N.ireland but no one has one.

Syed Shah
16th June 2004, 03:41 PM
Some jap Supras came with the Torsen LSD as well, just not all.

Martin F
16th June 2004, 04:14 PM
Quote[/b] (streetcar @ June 16 2004,16:33)]Does anyone know where i can get a diff out of a uk car?checked all the breakers in N.ireland but no one has one.
Do a search through the members list on here for Ibrar. He was breaking a UK car a few months back and may still have the diff if you are lucky.

GavinL
16th June 2004, 06:52 PM
Quote[/b] (streetcar @ June 16 2004,16:33)]In that case looks like i need a diff out of a uk car after all, the jap one will just not fit! could change the prop shaft but dont think the drive shafts will fit either as the jap diff is a good bit narrower than the torsen diff.

Does anyone know where i can get a diff out of a uk car?checked all the breakers in N.ireland but no one has one.
Leon normally has one in stock

JPSmotorsports on 01908 367100

Nathan
23rd December 2004, 12:32 PM
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ June 12 2004,14:19)]Yep the diff ratio is different between a Jap spec and Uk spec car (3.266 vs 3.133) which would have a small effect on your acceleration and top end. Also its important that you have the correct diff for an auto vs manual car as again the ratios are different.

Take a look here for a bit more info SPECS (http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm)
Sorry to drag this thread up (I like search buttons lol) but I'm trying to find out, 100pc, what diff ratio a UK spec car has when fitted with manual 6 speed. You claim 3.133 below Martin, are you sure? I can't find any reference to that on the NZ spec list?!!

Thanks

Nathan.

Syed Shah
23rd December 2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, 3.133 for UK, 3.266 for Jap.

Nathan
23rd December 2004, 01:32 PM
Weird. I just looked at the dyno graph for the VVT-i we did and it quite clearly states it hit 2755 lb/ft. However, this was worked out on a diff ratio of 3.9 (no idea where that came from). Working it out on a diff ratio of 3.133 (I know for a fact we fitted a UK diff to it) would give 879 lb/ft at the hubs. Would be nice, but unlikely I feel. Will need to take this up with Abbey I think.

Cheers

Nathan

Syed Shah
23rd December 2004, 01:42 PM
Was it a V161? As fitted to some NAs? That had a diff ratio of 3.769.

Martin F
23rd December 2004, 08:24 PM
Reference was here http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Whifbitz
1st January 2005, 06:28 PM
Quote[/b] (suprarich @ June 15 2004,11:17)]Martin,

What do you think of the TRD Diff's? Are they worth getting it your old one is knackered??

Rich http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/buttrock.gif
Alright Rich, I've got a TRD diff sitting on the shelf for mine now, going to stick it in soon so I'll let you know what its like compared with the stock LSD.

UK Supra TT
6th January 2005, 11:50 AM
Is there any way of seeing if the diff cooler on a UK spec is working fine? Theres a light on the dash which has never come on, wopuld this light up if there was a problem? Mine hasn't got any leaks but i wouldn't want a diff to go bad, i had this problem on my last car (N/A Supra) and it was horrible, loads of clunking etc.

Someone said if theres no signs of it leaking then it should be fine, but a 10 year old car...maybe the insides are gone, it looks in perfect condition mind but i'd like to be safe.

UK Supra TT
6th January 2005, 11:51 AM
Sorry to use this thread but thought it would be better than starting a new one http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Martin F
6th January 2005, 06:33 PM
It's really not a hard job to remove the cover and check to see if there are any leaks and at the same time clean out any road muck.

Jack up the rear drivers side, remove wheel and then use a 10mm socket to take the diff cooler covers off and take a look.

If the road is not wet then it should be dry inside and you just need to clean the muck away and give the pipes a liberal spraying of Waxoyl, WD40 or something similar which will protect them a bit.

The light on the dash is only for diff temp overheat and probably wouldn't light until it was too late.

This is what mine looked like when i took a look, probably about 75,000 miles at the time.

Guy
1st February 2005, 11:10 AM
Hi all

I was wondering if you have managed to source a company who will rebuild a UK spec TT six speed LSDiff, or will supply a recondition service exchange unit. ?My diff was reported to have excess play when I ask my local Toyota dealer to investigate a drive back lash clonking noise when enageing disengaging the drive. ?I assumed it was the prop shaft UV joint. ?The Toyota garage advised that yes it maybe but it is provoked by the excess play in the diff. ?
I note that there is no wyning noise from the diff, but there is a resonance from the drive train when criusing on the motorway, which again assume is the propshaft balance.
If anyone could shed some light on the issues it would be great, as at the moment I am still not sure exactly what is the problem.
Cheers

Martin F
1st February 2005, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing that you are the same 'Guy' from TOC so i won't post the same stuff again.

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sharpie
2nd February 2005, 02:55 PM
Are the fins still intact ? mine crumbled to the touch so, had it changed out.

Edit - Sorry, didn't see page 2 of this thread. I was talking back to Paul at the bottom of page 1.

GavinL
2nd February 2005, 03:49 PM
Quote[/b] (UK Supra TT @ Jan. 06 2005,11:50)]Is there any way of seeing if the diff cooler on a UK spec is working fine? Theres a light on the dash which has never come on, wopuld this light up if there was a problem? Mine hasn't got any leaks but i wouldn't want a diff to go bad, i had this problem on my last car (N/A Supra) and it was horrible, loads of clunking etc.

Someone said if theres no signs of it leaking then it should be fine, but a 10 year old car...maybe the insides are gone, it looks in perfect condition mind but i'd like to be safe.
Mine leaked after hi speed runs so I suspect you need a reasonable amount of heat in the diff to get the system pumping in the first place

I wouldn't get too worried about this Just keep an eye on your garage floor for oil or spend the ?127 and fit a new one