PDA

View Full Version : Momo steering wheel

B6AVE
8th July 2004, 08:13 PM
Please could sum1 help i have a momo steering wheel from my old car and have just purchased the hub so that i can fit it to my supra. Ive removed the supra standard non airbag steering wheel and theres a plastic electric socket at the top that doesnt allow me to put the hub on. Could someone please tell me what i need to do at this point as im stumped on how to fit the steering wheel with out taking the thing off and im sure its for the horn or indicators etc..........

Sexy Supra
8th July 2004, 08:21 PM
Hi

I bought a jap import Supra with a momo steering wheel already attached. This means there is now no airbag fitted and my horn never works as there is nowhere to put the earthing wire to. I have bought a hub and had it fitted, but my horn keeps disconnecting and really pisses me off, not to mention it won't pass the mot. The only two options I have are to find an original supra steering wheel with airbag at enormous expense or have a switch fitted to my dash to operate my horn!! I hope you don't encounter the same problems as I am. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Sexy Supra
8th July 2004, 08:22 PM
I have just asked my partner and that electric socket is for your horn so don't remove that. It seems that you may have the wrong hub that is why it won't fit. You need to order on from Halfords for ?35.99 as that is where I got my, but as I say be warned as it could bugger your horn up.

B6AVE
8th July 2004, 08:44 PM
after you got your hub from halfords did it work. Ive got one from halfords but i guess its the wrong one

Sexy Supra
8th July 2004, 08:57 PM
It worked for all of 5 minutes. Once I turned the wheel the horn came out of the loom and won't work again. I had it rewired by a garage but the same problem occurred by the time I got home. I wouldn't recommend putting a momo steering wheel on if this is the problem it creates. I am stuck as I have no other steering wheel and the only way I am going to solve the problem is to try and get an original supra steering wheel with an airbag. Good luck.

Gambit
8th July 2004, 10:38 PM
Does the wire get pulled out by tension from turning, could you not create an extension loop to compensate?

B6AVE
8th July 2004, 10:54 PM
If only carlsberg made steering wheels. We'd not be having this conversation. Or is it Carling, either way they both taste like sxxt The only thing that I can think of is to cut part of the hub away as the rubber ring would cover it but im worried it may looked bodged.

Gambit
8th July 2004, 11:23 PM
Its Carlsberg. How big is the plug (how many wires) r they push in crimps that you could photo the back of the block remove the pins feed the wires up the hub and re-apply the block.

B6AVE
9th July 2004, 12:04 AM
the plug is quite big and ive tried placin the hub in and have marked where id need to cut the hub to get it to fit. Without takin apart the dash any more, i couldnt tell you whats behind it. The plug is purely for the horn though. I dont wanna risk breakin it off only to find that there is noway of crimpin or attachin it to my momo horn button.

Gambit
9th July 2004, 11:54 AM
If it only goes to the horn should only be 2 wires + and earth, yes?
If this is so could you not cut the wires near the dash feed and rejoin with heat shrink.

B6AVE
9th July 2004, 02:40 PM
The plastic electrical plug is physically attached to the plastic that turns round as you steer to turn off the indicator. Not sure how to remove it with out merely breaking it off and even then i dont know whats behind it and if I would be able to reattach the horn. Its a shame ive not got a digital camera, i could show you otherwise.

Cheers,

Michael

Sexy Supra
9th July 2004, 04:06 PM
An extension loop was fitted to mine but that didn't work either so now I am back to square one with no horn working and need to find a solution by October or I will fail my MOT http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

suprastu
9th July 2004, 04:15 PM
hi.
your hub should have a hole in the back of it, which this plastic bit fits through. this seems to be a common problem. Because of this i modded my old boss from my mr2, made this hole slightly bigger for the sup, and it fitted lovely.
http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Gambit
9th July 2004, 09:06 PM
Sexy Supra,

If the horn became unattached with the loop on then the loop isn't doing its job (needs to be able to cope with the turns) either the loop wasn't big enough for full lock or didn't have the slack to feed through with the wheel or the connection to the horn button wasn't strong enough.
Is it possible to attach the loop to the horn button but leave the button pad hanging from the wheel then try steering whilst stationary (on axle stands or dry steer) this way you should be able to monitor what is going wrong and should see the horn button pulling towards the wheel when it reaches its tolerance.
Do you have a pic of your wheel?

Sexy Supra
9th July 2004, 09:15 PM
I will take a pic of wheel tomorrow and download it for u to have a look at. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

B6AVE
10th July 2004, 01:07 PM
Hello supra stu, did you take your MR2 hub then and fit it to your supra. I took the hub back to Halfords and they said that there is a choice of 2 so with any luck it will be this one. If not I may go with your plan and take it from a Mr2 and modify it.

suprastu
10th July 2004, 06:51 PM
yep,
took the hub which was from my jap spec mr2 , modded it, and fitted it to my supra.
as far as i can remember, there is a difference between the hubs for jap and uk spec mr2's, so if you do go with my plan, make sure you get thejap spec.

B6AVE
11th July 2004, 12:23 AM
Cool, I will have to see what they give me this time if not I shall go with your plan.

Cheers mate

Gixer_81
29th July 2004, 07:01 PM
i got both of the momo hubs they recomend for the supra from halfrauds and neither fit, the horn plug fouls on both of them. The only connection needed in the plug/socket is the one on the right (when plug is at the top of the steering column) you can test this by touching a piece of wire from the right hand pin on the socket down to earth (horn should sound) I removed the socket from the steering column by breaking the plastic with a pair of pliers (be careful as the plastic is brittle and tends to fly off all over the place!http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif I then cut all the remaining socket terminals flush appart from the one on the right (the horn connection) the hub addaptor should now fit perfectly! http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif If you trim the horn connection down a little then solder a piece of un-insulated wire (about 3inches of wire)to it when you refit the hub adapter the wire should fit snugly against the connecter ring on the back of the hub adapter making the ground connection required to get the horn working. finaly fit the momo wheel, plug it in and hey presto it should work (Mine Does http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )