View Full Version : Rust proofing the bottom of my car

B6AVE
11th July 2004, 12:56 AM
Ive got an import supra and was wondering, seeing as their climate out there is different do they seal the bottom of their cars at all, and if not is it recommended that I do it myself. I have a power hose to get the muck of the bottom, any ideas what to coat it with.

chiefgroover
11th July 2004, 09:56 AM
I'm no expert on the subject but i know a guy who sprayed (after stripping some bits off) the bottom of his car with the underseal VW/Audi use, which is supposed to be top stuff. Also had the side effect of reducing road noise also. you will need a body shop or the like to spray it properly.

Chris Rocks
11th July 2004, 10:17 AM
Japanese imports are rumoured to have less underseal than the UK cars. Naturally this can lead to rust and corrosion problems in later life if the car is not looked after properly. There are two options,

the first is to pay for a full underseal treatment using Waxoyl or a professional under body treatment. Most have to be redone
every couple of years. Just be careful you don't block up any of the breather/drip holes.
the second is to give it a pressure wash (underneath) every weekend during winter.

Another benefit to underseal is that it cuts down on noise a little. This is why a UK car is quieter than a Japanese. The factory underseal is much stronger than Waxoil which is why it will last for 10 years +. The majority of the UK Supras members have not had their cars re-undersealed.

-c-

Chris Rocks
11th July 2004, 10:20 AM
Most importers seem to offer it as an option ( although I think mine was included in the price )

seems to range from ?80+ from what I can see...

-c-

B6AVE
11th July 2004, 11:07 AM
I have a good mechanic that is also a panel beater and paint sprayer so I will ask him about it soon.

Cheers guys