PDA

View Full Version : Rear hatch

Col
26th August 2004, 12:01 PM
Hello

I just got all the bits i need to stop it making so much noise. But it looks like someone has been there before me and chewed the screws on the bottom rubber bits. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif Theres no way there coming out. What are my options now?

Thanx

Martin F
26th August 2004, 12:32 PM
You can still get them out.

Cut away all the rubber with a stanley knife or similar.
Use a gas soldering iron or a blow torch and heat the remainder of the bolts up. Obviously be careful of surrounding paintwork if using a blow torch.
Then whilst the screws are still hot use a set of mull grips or similar to unscrew the bolts.

May need to heat them up again if they start to stiffen up on removal (ohhh errrrr)

Col
26th August 2004, 02:04 PM
I have a gas soldering iron so ill give it a go.
Cheers Martin

Suprz_RZ
27th August 2004, 01:17 PM
Had to drill mine out! Wouldn't budge at all.

All that hasstle, and the bugger still rattles !!!!! AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!! http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Col
28th August 2004, 11:07 AM
I did what Martin said and it worked http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Although i did burn my thumb and make a small fire in my boot http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif Nothing bad though. Mine still rattles too but no where near as bad as before. I think its just because my suspension is so hard.

Bibby Noblett
16th September 2004, 07:56 PM
Hi! I have just got my NA Supra and I seem to be getting a lot of rattling coming from the boot area....... it sounds like something is loose.

Is this the same thing you guys are going on about? If so - what's going on?!?!

Martin F
16th September 2004, 08:07 PM
It could well be.

Take a look at the lower hatchback rubbers, about 8 - 10inches up the sides from your rear lights. If they are split up and basically look like they are falling apart then they won't be supporting the hatchback when it is closed.

Bibby Noblett
17th September 2004, 04:37 PM
That is exactly what those rubber bits look like - all cracked up!! So I just have to replace them huh?

Clayton
17th September 2004, 05:41 PM
I have put some sticky back black foam strip across the top of mine , the kind of stuff i find in my trade of air con. and i can assure you that you cannot notice it and it stops the demon rattle in its tracks, no burned fingers or stripped paintwork. hope this helps

Bibby Noblett
17th September 2004, 05:58 PM
In that case I shall try and find some sticky back black foam strip!!

thethom
19th September 2004, 02:04 PM
i had the same problem and after reading this went to b+q and got some sticky back draught insulation strip for doors. ?it cost under three quid and solved the problem straight away

Phoenix
20th September 2004, 02:21 PM
Hi all

My first post !

I recently changed the rear hatch rubber in my JDM spec supra. I used a knife to remove the old rubber and then tried using a mini blow torch to heat up the screws, but this didn't work, so I drilled out the screws (with the help of a mate with the tools), then drilled some new screws threads. Took about 45 mins as one of the drill bits broke !

However my hatch still rattles ! I only changed the rubber attached to the car and not the hatch itself.

thethom, I'm interested in your solution with the sticky back draught insulation from B+Q, can I have more details and also whereabouts did you place the stuff on the hatch ?

Clayton,perhaps you can expand on your solution ?

slick
20th September 2004, 08:28 PM
Yes Clayton do a 'how to' http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif ?I've got the damn rattles too. Where did you stick the foam?

roy
21st September 2004, 08:37 AM
had this on mine - most annoying. then got new rubbers AND used a bit of felt and black insulating tape and covered the new ones up. worked a treat.

thethom
21st September 2004, 06:25 PM
no problem the stuff is called ultraseal draught exluder i pushed two strips of it side by side directly on top of the rubber blocks shut the boot and went for a quick spin and the rattle was completly gone but im not sure if its a great long term solution simply because it will probably compress the foam but considering its only 3 quid for ten metres just replace it.the only catch is its only comes in white or brown

Clayton
15th October 2004, 03:13 PM
exactly what thethom says , just lay it across the top of the boot rubbers and let the hatch rubbers sandwich it. at a pinch use blue tack as a quick fix

Phoenix
18th October 2004, 08:53 AM
This is driving me mad ! I've replaced the lower hatch rubbers and it still knocks/rattles. So went to B&Q and bought some draught excluder, the brown stuff and not the ultraseal white stuff that thethom used and it still knocks/rattles, but it's not as bad. I've even tried putting some whitetac and that didn't help either.

What now !

Martin F
18th October 2004, 06:48 PM
Are you sure its the hatch ?

Have you taken everything out of the back, spare wheel, toolkit, polystyrene stuff and then gone for a drive. If you still have a knocking it could be suspension related.

Phoenix
19th October 2004, 07:55 AM
I'm fairly certain it's the rear hatch knocking against the rubber bumpstops, but then this could be suspension related as it's not absorbing properly.

Next stage will be to take out the stuff in the back and see what happens. I suppose I can also go for a quick drive with the hatch up too.