PDA

View Full Version : Suspension problems

suprarich
8th December 2004, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

I managed to get the appropriate rims to suit my tyres.
Got the car tracked but it still bounces and slides on any bumps....
I checked my anti roll bars... The bielstein shocks do not seem to be leaking. The Bushes seems ok.
It seems to be the back of the car that slides around.....
Anyone know what else to check?

Any help will be great...

Thanks

Rich

GavinL
8th December 2004, 11:56 PM
What do you mean by tracked.....a full four way laser alignment?

suprarich
9th December 2004, 07:36 PM
Yep,

I had a 4 wheel laser alignment.

It was well out, the car seemed more stable, after a week of driving, it started to slide again.

Any Ideas?

GavinL
9th December 2004, 09:01 PM
Quote[/b] (suprarich @ Dec. 09 2004,19:36)]Yep,

I had a 4 wheel laser alignment.

It was well out, the car seemed more stable, after a week of driving, it started to slide again.

Any Ideas?
Hmmm...

Just to give us the full picture:

How many miles on the billies?

What size wheels?

What tyres?

What tyre pressures?

suprarich
9th December 2004, 09:16 PM
235/40 front on a 18/7.5 rim @ 36psi
275/35 rears on a 18/9 rim @ 34 psi

these are according to Khumo europe who told me to increase pressure at front due to stress load.

I have Bielstein Suspension with Eibach Springs...

Ive done at 40k miles....

Tyres are Khumos

Martin F
9th December 2004, 10:18 PM
Quote[/b] (suprarich @ Dec. 09 2004,19:36)]It was well out, the car seemed more stable, after a week of driving, it started to slide again.
Rich, are you saying it was OK after the alignment and now it has gone back to handling like crap ?

GavinL
10th December 2004, 09:46 PM
Ok, I have been thinking about this today and I suggest the following:

Take the car back to the alignment centre and get them to recheck the car.

If the settings have changed it is either the bolts were not torqued properly or your rear suspension arm bushes are shot

fredm
11th December 2004, 09:46 AM
The rims you have are too narrow for the size of tyre fitted.
A 235 tyre should be mounted on an 8.5" or 9.0" wide wheel.
A 275 tyre should be mounted on a 10.00" wide wheel.
I would imagine the front tyre's sidewall profile is all wrong.I'm pretty sure I am right about those sizes.

chiefgroover
11th December 2004, 10:08 AM
Quote[/b] ]The rims you have are too narrow for the size of tyre fitted.
A 235 tyre should be mounted on an 8.5" or 9.0" wide wheel.
A 275 tyre should be mounted on a 10.00" wide wheel.
I would imagine the front tyre's sidewall profile is all wrong.I'm pretty sure I am right about those sizes.
I totally agree. oversizing tyres on wheels makes the car sloppy. If you look at the standard wheels, and note the sidewall shape/thred pattern width in relation to the rim width, you will notice that your side walls are going the wrong direction (out instead of in slightly). Toyota got the wheel/tyres ratio correct, hence why they went as far as 1/2" wheel sizes. So the idea is to copy thay type of setup so you get progressive handling. I run 8" front and 10" rear with the same front tyre size as you on the front and 265 on the rear and it works great. I had 275's on the rear but it had a slight "elestic band" handling effect.
You must be pissed off. Your insurance company may have issues with you having a narrower than standard front wheel.
Either the tyres or wheels change, or both lol!. I am well fond of track days so i get to test the tyres to the extremes, and I assure you that my wheel and tyre sizing is tops to drive on, especially when your well past the grip limit.
I would worry about the alignment, so important on a Supra. Good luck.

suprarich
12th December 2004, 08:57 PM
WTF!!!!!

It was Khumo UK who infomed me of the correct rim size. This is the size that I got stated at the top.
I checked the bushes and they seem ok but will take it to a garage for a 2nd opinion.

I am pissed of big time as the rim company followed what Khumo stated and I did put a post out about it before I procceeded. Everyone seemed to agree.
I cant get a proper answer out of anyone!!!!

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Martin F
12th December 2004, 09:59 PM
The guys have picked up a good point there.

You may find this helpful

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/images/Fitment.xls

7.5" is too narrow for a 235 section tyre.

chiefgroover
12th December 2004, 11:40 PM
Did anyone mention a 235 on a 7.5ins rim?
I feel so sorry for you I am close on buying you a decent set of wheels and tyres. Or what about all the forum regulars send you ?50 (come on guys, it wont even fill the tank) and when u got a load of donations, flog what you have, and we can recommend exactly what you ought to have!.
You must be one cool operator, by now I would be in a padded cell!.
p.s. take a look at www.azev.com and try the car selector. Results are interesting.

chiefgroover
12th December 2004, 11:41 PM
p.s. are you standard wheels 17"? and if so what are you doing with them? If selling p.m. me.

Martin F
13th December 2004, 10:50 PM
Quote[/b] (suprarich @ Dec. 09 2004,21:16)]235/40 front on a 18/7.5 rim @ 36psi
Chief http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

chiefgroover
14th December 2004, 09:36 AM
any of us martin lol, those who were replying ! http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif