PDA

View Full Version : Suspension noise

smee
27th December 2004, 11:46 PM
has anyone had any problems with the suspension on a mk4 n/a when i come 2 a slow stop i get a 'klunk' from the front it will only do it once going forward but if i back up itll do the same once the suspension has been uprated (tein coilovers) its been 2 several garages trying 2 find it but they cant find anything wrong also its just gone through a mot could it b a caliper problem? http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/help.gif its starting 2 bug me.

Martin F
28th December 2004, 09:42 AM
It's most likely the sub-frame bolts or the lower wishbone bolts.

The elliptical wishbone bolts need to be done up to about 167ft/lb and a lot of garages don't realise this. It also needs to be done when the suspension is loaded. Get the car up in the air (on a good set of stands or a ramp) and have a look see if these are tight.

It could be the caliper mounts not tight but usually people tighten these up quite well.

overspent
26th January 2005, 09:47 PM
Have the same noise on mine and again nobody can find the cause, however last time I had the nearside exposed the visible part of the front wishbone bush (visibly looks like a rubber washer) did not appear to be tight to the wishbone, is it possible to get poly bushes as a replacement?

Martin F
26th January 2005, 10:05 PM
Yes, although i'm not sure if there are any direct suppliers in this country.

TRD used to do a set and there is somebody in the US. (sorry name escapes me)

thirtysix_36
26th January 2005, 11:16 PM
Welcome to "The Mysterious Knock" Club smee.
Had this noise both f&R.
So after fitting a set of KYB AGX`s, rear set of Polyureathane bushes fron R2 Racing, USA......
`Control Arm Bushing Kits - R2Racing
Model Year Front/Rear Part No. Price
Supra 93-98 Front R2R-JZA80-FRCA $189.95
Supra 93-98 Rear R2R-JZA80-RRCA $189.95 `

see here http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/r2racing/index.html

and also a rear Cusco strut bar, i`m still left with a nasty crashing type knock nearside rear. Very very annoying.
Other things to do are replace the rear upper wishbones and possibly top mounts.
If only someone could suggest a way of pinpointing where it`s actually coming from. Isn`t there some sort of rolling road that can put `bumps` in ??!
If you get it sorted let us know.

rgds
Roy

overspent
27th January 2005, 09:13 PM
There is a commercial vehicle testing station in Reading that has powered plates that you drive onto and then they move a couple of inches this would show any movement, you could try and find the same.