View Full Version : Which clutch?

UK Supra TT
6th January 2005, 02:33 PM
Looking for some technical advice on which clutch to go for, i'm not going single turbo now till next winter, collecting parts along the way i think so in March i will be installing Nitrous (75bhp jets) and i have a stock clutch so this will need replacing. I'm currently running 419 ft/lbs torque at the hubs so with the nitrous around 494 torque minus a bit of loss through the gearbox etc but around that figure. I have done some research and the RPS stage 3 (street max) solid hub clutch looks the best, 38% stiffer and can handle 800 ft/lbs of torque so great for when i go single too. It's around $600 in America but someone has mentioned Helix clutches to me. I phoned one of their distributers who said the organic version can only handle 396 torque and that i'd need a ceramic??? version which is used for rally/racing etc for ?419 but can handle 496 torque. I'm sure Chris Wilson said ceramic clutches are best for the street so i don't know what to do. I think both those Helix clutches are out the door, what does everyone else recommend? I'm not sure if the RPS is an organic clutch or not. I will be using the car on the street most days in the summer aswell as around 4-5 drag racing days so around 30 runs this year if not less. Someof those runs will be with Micky Thompson streets on so it needs to be a strong clutch.

I won't need the clutch till March so any info you all can give would be great. ?http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/help.gif

Thanks
Paul

eyefi
6th January 2005, 03:09 PM
my kevlar 6puck drives like a dream and seems to b indestructable. im not sure how it's going to hold up to massive torque, but if it slips and a quick roughen of the flywheel plate doesn't cure it im going to get my hks triple plate resurfaced in kevlar (or something similar)

UK Supra TT
6th January 2005, 04:51 PM
HKS Triple Plate! Wonder how that will drive on the street.....

Martin F
6th January 2005, 06:37 PM
Supposed to be quite good for a street car as i think they use their own thrust bearing\actuator mechanism.

But i don't know too many that are using it to be honest, most likely because of the price.

UK Supra TT
19th January 2005, 02:06 PM
I was offered a cheap used one (slightly broken but fixable) for ?400, but after speaking with a few people in the US realised how bad they were, a major company said they wouldn't have one given to them! Worst clutch they have used...They also said that they couldn't believe such a good company like HKS could make such a bad clutch. Sorry if anyone has one http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

wez
19th January 2005, 06:15 PM
I am going to go for an OS Giken supplied and fitted by CW.

Just need to save some pennies now.

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

GavinL
19th January 2005, 08:24 PM
I have Southbend DXD clutch with an uprated pressure plate and stock flywheel.

It's inexpensive, drives very well and holds about 650 at the fly.

I have driven the same clutch with a lightened flywheel and that drove very nicely as well.

www.southbendclutch.com

UK Supra TT
20th January 2005, 12:45 AM
Yes i have heard good things about the Southbend products, i quite like the RPS stuff though, RPS clutch with RPS lightweight flywheel, this setup would be great and with Nitrous would give around 500 ft/lbs torque at the hubs! mmmmmm

Whifbitz
25th January 2005, 10:39 PM
I've got a 2nd hand with new plates twin plate OS Giken up for grabs soon if you want that? That should do the job nicely....

ewizzy
25th January 2005, 11:59 PM
Quote[/b] (Whifbitz @ Jan. 25 2005,22:39)]I've got a 2nd hand with new plates twin plate OS Giken up for grabs soon if you want that? That should do the job nicely....
How much?

Whifbitz
26th January 2005, 09:10 AM
It'll be about ?600 approx + VAT