PDA

View Full Version : 6-pots & poor pedal

overspent
22nd January 2005, 10:55 PM
Some time ago I fitted a set of KAD 356mm 6-pots to my J-spec but have never really been very happy with the pedal feel, has anyone else had this experience? Is there a master cylinder with a larger bore available as I feel that the standard item is not displacing enough fluid to give a firm pedal?

Cuthbert
22nd January 2005, 11:09 PM
Have your hoses been replaced or are the rubber ones still in place?

overspent
22nd January 2005, 11:18 PM
Braided hoses all round, car stops but effort required and no real bite when applied even when warmed up.

Martin F
22nd January 2005, 11:23 PM
Has it always been like this since fitting the KAD setup or has it changed over time ?

overspent
22nd January 2005, 11:29 PM
Always been like it, should have done something about it earlier, but you know how time flies by. Definately did not have the effect that I hoped they would.

Sharpie
25th January 2005, 04:41 PM
Does the pedal feel come from the master cylinder or the vacuum booster or a combo of the two ?

and can any of these be adjusted (increase pressure) to give a better/firmer pedal feel ?

Martin F
25th January 2005, 07:51 PM
Are you sure you have all the air out of the system including the ABS servo ?

Whifbitz
25th January 2005, 10:32 PM
I've never heard of a problem with these before, are you sure it has been bled through properly? The KAD's on my car are unbelievable, one of the best mods I've ever done on my car! I'd suggest bleeding it through again to make sure. What rear calipers have you got? Are they in good condition? Or did you buy the whole kit?

Cheers
Paul

chiefgroover
25th January 2005, 10:56 PM
I found Silicone brake fluid gave shyte feel. Now using Dot5.1 much harder feel, and more controlled braking. If you check your owners manual you will see that Toyota say never to use silicone fuild in their ABS systems. (well it does in mine!http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Hope this helps. Some people say a high quality DOT4 gives the firmest pedal of them all. ?

overspent
26th January 2005, 09:25 PM
Kit was supplied by Paul along with additional rear hoses, rear calipers are standard j-spec, the complete system was not emptied in total so would have thought it unlikely that air would have travelled back to the servo, although would not stake my life on it, fluid in use is dot 5.1 and enough was put through system to have completely replaced contents.

Whifbitz
26th January 2005, 09:29 PM
Definately shouldn't be any sponginess, I fitted a kit today to a Supra and they suprise me everytime, the pedal feel and stopping power is huge.
It might be your rear calipers seized up? Seeing quite a lot of this especially with the J-spec type.

overspent
26th January 2005, 09:32 PM
Sure that the rear are not seized as that would have shown up at MoT time, does not really bite when applied, could there be a servo related problem?

Whifbitz
26th January 2005, 09:34 PM
Possibly, never heard of any problems with these though. Might be worth a bleed through first I'd say.

overspent
26th January 2005, 09:37 PM
Will try that route first and keep my fingers crossed, although would have though I would have had increased pedal response with pumping but doesn't appear to make any significant difference, may have to resort to visiting you.

Whifbitz
26th January 2005, 09:44 PM
No probs, give us a shout if you need anything.