PDA

View Full Version : Front shock noise??

Bingo
9th February 2005, 11:08 AM
I drive a 1993 Imported Supra MkIV Aerotop. Since buying it in March 2004 it has made a slight knocking noise everytime I ride over very uneven surfaces. I met up with another Supra owner back in the Summer of 2004 and he had an imported turbo which had the same characteristic. He replaced both front shocks with brand new ones only to be greeting with the same noise?

Does anyone out there have an idea what could be causing this?
Does this noise come as standard ?

My car has no problems with handling/keeping a straight line under breaking/is rock solid at high speed (tested at 130mph with no problems)

Toyota MOT's it also 9 months ago and reported no problems?

Very strange... http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Guy
9th February 2005, 11:45 AM
The knocking noise could come from a number of areas on the front suspension assembly. Usually knocking noises originate from worn rubber mounts, such as strut top mounts, anti roll bar mountings etc. I haven't had this problem yet, so can't point you to known parts. The only thing I can suggest is to get it on a ramp and check all the mounts for visible wear/excess play.

Martin F
9th February 2005, 07:09 PM
Check the front subframe mounting bolts and also the lower wishbone mounting bolts.

The lower wishbone ones are invariably under torqued, they should be 166ft/lb with the suspension loaded.

Rajinder
9th February 2005, 07:38 PM
I had exactly the same problem with our 1994 TT. All the bushes and torque settings plus 4 new tyres and 4 new KYB/AGX were fitted but the knocking was still there. I then as a last test reduced the tyre pressure from 36 psi all round to 32 psi. and hey presto! the knocking was gone for good.
I am going to take to 34 psi to see if knocking comes back. nitrogen instead of air does help a lot in reducing these kind of noises. We have tried on our Honda Intergra but not on the TT yet. The car is stored for the winter.
So try adjusting the tyre pressure.

Martin F
9th February 2005, 08:56 PM
How would tyre pressures cause a knocking in the suspension ?

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif