View Full Version : Rattling+ squeeking spoiler

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 08:17 AM
Hi

After a whole week of trying to find out what the rattling in the back of my car was ive stripped down the boot.

It appears to be the rear spoiler squeeking and rattling quite badly ! All the screws are tight ! Does anyone have any ideas why this is rattling.

suprarob
2nd July 2005, 09:03 AM
Are you sure its not just the boot rubbers that need replaceing ?

Barney
2nd July 2005, 09:07 AM
Are you sure this is not your boot/hatch rubbers (left and right hand side by rear qtr panels) these wear and cause the tailgate to rattle, very common problem, which can be fixed with two new rubbers from Mr T (approx ?14 AFAIK)

Bit of a pain to remove, there is a post here somewhere about how to do the job, I'm sure someone will be along soon to post a link to the thread http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Barney
2nd July 2005, 09:11 AM
Try this:

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/cgi-bin....rubbers (http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/cgi-bin/iB/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=14;t=1474;hl=boot+rubbers)

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 09:53 AM
I dont think its the boot rubbers mainly because with the boot up if it tap on the spoiler it makes the noises im hearing when driving

Barney
2nd July 2005, 12:50 PM
Mmm, I'm at a loss on this, if the fixings for the spoiler are tight it shouldn't rattle, it might be worth removing and re-fitting the spoiler if you are certain that's where the rattle/squeek is. When removed check all the fixings etc. making sure all is as it should be.

General group question here: Is there a rubber seal or such like between the spoiler and the boot hatch? I'm thinking thinking the spoiler may have been removed sometime in it's life and not re-fitted with all the correct parts.

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 01:59 PM
Ive just taken the spoiler off, two bolts in each side. when i removed it there seemed to be two prongs on the spoiler and one of them had like a illuminous green socket on it.

Does this sound like what could be missing and creating the noise ??

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 04:28 PM
Ive just drove the car without the spoiler on an allthough the noise is slightly reduced there is still some noise so im guessing this is a combination of things.

Here are some pics from the bottom of the spoiler so u guys can see the part missing im talking about.

Ill also take some pics of the rubber stoppers on the boot once the cameras charged so anyone can advise me if they are worn.

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 04:29 PM
the other side

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 05:14 PM
Here are the boot rubbers

Bazrazmataz05
2nd July 2005, 05:15 PM
the other one

Barney
2nd July 2005, 06:03 PM
Your boot rubbers have seen much better days, if your boot doesn't rattle with those on you'd be very lucky.

As for the spoiler query, I have never removed one so can't really say apart from my earlier comments.

If you can hold fire a bit longer I'm sure someone (Martin?) will come along who can advise you.

Clayton
3rd July 2005, 05:29 AM
those rubbers look sus. to me,Just put a strip of foam rubber over the boot rubbers and gently jam the hatch down on them, if the noise goes its that , if not !!!

Bazrazmataz05
3rd July 2005, 08:03 AM
ill give it a go !! dunno where ill find a little bit of foam tho

Gambit
3rd July 2005, 09:44 AM
You could just order new rubbers from a dealer mine arrived in two days and cost about ?20 to ?30 this is for the boot rubbers, tail gate blocks and all screws.
In the second picture of the rubber stoppers you can see it has split around the retaining plate the same as mine had. The stopper has a steel plate set into the back of the rubber so when you put the screw through it, it grips the plate to the bodywork. If the rubber splits around the plate fully the screws are only holding the rubbers to the plate by a small skin of rubber.
If you push down on the rubbers firmly where the arrow is I bet you can see the crack separate.
You say it makes the noise with the boot up have you checked your boot hinges at the top?

Bazrazmataz05
3rd July 2005, 10:34 AM
Boot hinges ?? do u mean the clip that clips in to the lock ??

Gambit
3rd July 2005, 10:55 AM
No, at the top of the boot the hinges that hold the gate to the car(near the roof).

Bazrazmataz05
3rd July 2005, 11:09 AM
no ill check, im certain that the rattle when the boot is up is where my spoiler is missing the plug it is rattling against the body.

Bazrazmataz05
3rd July 2005, 12:52 PM
Just checked it out. The rubber stop does split all the way along revealing the bracket but i had to put quite a lot of pressure on it to do this, i dont think the boot is that heavy.

As for the boot bracket thats on tight. On the spoiler if i tap just before it bends there is a rattle just where its on !!

Its really starting to bug me finding these probs.

Bazrazmataz05
3rd July 2005, 08:49 PM
Ive been thinking about when i first got the car i found 2 small bits of rubber in the area of the boot around where these worn rubber stoppers are. Could these be related.

Ive attached some pics of them if anyone know what they are.

Bazrazmataz05
3rd July 2005, 08:50 PM
side view

Martin F
3rd July 2005, 09:33 PM
Quote[/b] (Barney @ July 02 2005,13:50)]General group question here: Is there a rubber seal or such like between the spoiler and the boot hatch? I'm thinking thinking the spoiler may have been removed sometime in it's life and not re-fitted with all the correct parts.
Yes there is, and i think you could be correct that the spoiler has been off sometime in its life and these rubber gaskets have not been replaced.

Part numbers for the gaskets are
76873-14061 ? RH side
76874-14061 ? LH Side

Also the part number for the clips are 76879-14040 which may well be worth replacing for new ones. Sure these bits won't be much from Mr T

Martin F
3rd July 2005, 09:35 PM
Quote[/b] (Bazrazmataz05 @ July 03 2005,13:52)]i dont think the boot is that heavy.
It bloody is, weighs a ton !

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/shocked.gif