PDA

View Full Version : Brake disks

~Rob~
10th August 2005, 03:12 PM
I know this has been brought up many a time before, but just to get opinions again.
my rear disks are looking quite worn, and ive always thought a nice set of drilled disks, like Porsche style, would look good front and back. the pedal feels a little spongy too so am think of s.s hoses and 5.1 fluid.
now, reading all the past posts about disks, everybody seems to be running stock UK spec disks and calipers with CW fast road pads.
is this the most recomended for fast road?
is anybody running anything else such as Brembos etc?
i had a look on the Brembo site also, but couldnt seem to see any disks for the Supe. Anybody seen brembo disks front and back?

cheers.

The Restorer
10th August 2005, 04:26 PM
You can get Brembo discs for the Supe, but I do know of people who have warped Brembos. One person replaced their Brembos, with DBA's and has not managed to do the same with DBA discs.

The DBA4000XS discs loog the dogs danglies aswell.

Drilled discs do look good, but even the DBA website does not recommend them if you are doing track days. It is common to get cracks that start from the hole.

Endless Pads also come recommended. Speak to Envy.

I asked the same question a couple of months ago, and standard discs were recommended. I managed to get myself a set of TRD discs and pads for the front last week and bought the S/S hoses and three bottles of dot 5.1 a few months ago, so roll on the track days....

... no wait, I need to get them fitted first!

Martin F
10th August 2005, 06:09 PM
As above http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Drilled disks are known to crack under extreme pressure, so unless you have a bottomless wallet probably best to stick with grooved.

Defenitely go for uprated fluid and hoses as these will make a good difference, especially if the existing fluid is past its best.

~Rob~
10th August 2005, 10:26 PM
i noticed Leeky was selling his TRD disks, are they the ones you got? do you know if they do rears as well, cos i couldnt see any on the trd.jp website.
does any one recomend a brake hose, or are they all more or less the same? i was thinking Goodridge s.s.
also, has any body who got the supra decals from the group buy fitted them yet?

The Restorer
10th August 2005, 11:02 PM
I managed to get Leeky's discs. I'm not sure if any of our authorised dealers do them, but try Fensport. The SS hoses, you have to be careful as the front ones need a little tab on them, so they can be screwed on to stop flapping inside.

I also have the decals, but had a question on them, as the lacquer I've seen only comes in spray form. I was hoping to paint my calipers on the car, but spraying thr lacquer on seems awkward.

~Rob~
11th August 2005, 06:13 PM
Just had a look at the DBA's and i do like them DBA4000XS. ive just seen them advertised in Banzai to so may get a price on them tomorrow! regarding the s.s hoses, so do we think the goodridge are fine, or is there any other makes out there i should consider? anyone know if the goodridge come with the little tab for the screw?
any recomendations on a caliper colour for a storm blue car? im thinking smooth silver with either a red Supra decal or black decal.

Martin F
11th August 2005, 06:33 PM
Can you let us know the price on the DBA disks as i may well go down this route at some point in the future as well.

As for the SS hoses i think they are all pretty much of a muchness. IIRC Whifbitz do ones that have a plastic sleeving over them so will help to protect them more from the elements.

Rajinder
11th August 2005, 07:26 PM
We have used rear disks from Brakes Int for ?125.72 for a pair including p&p. Not many miles have been driven so can't give any feed back but they seem OK at the moment. The quality of Goodridge SS are excellant and they came with all the fittings, our's a j spec so the front had the bracket to hold them. The only drawback of the Goodridge is that you can only have two or at the most three turns to make them tight. The reason is that the nipples have a collar and then the threads, so you are left with only a few turns, if you get it wrong then you cross thread them. We had CW fast pads but after fitting the discs, Goodridge SS and Motul RB 600 the improvement was unbelieveable, so left the old pads as they had quite a bit of life in them.

~Rob~
12th August 2005, 01:50 PM
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Aug. 11 2005,19:33)]Can you let us know the price on the DBA disks as i may well go down this route at some point in the future as well.
Ive sent out a load of emails this mornignbut only recieved one back so far. From SRB Power, DBA 4000xs Gold are ?285 fronts and ?294 rears. thought the rears would have been cheaper than the fronts?
this price is for the xs which are the ones restorer mentioned, but these are a cross drilled and slotted. would you reccomend that i go for the slotted only then?

ill put the other prices up when i get replies.

Martin F
12th August 2005, 06:59 PM
Defenitely wouldn't bother with drilled as just going to be more hassle when they do crack on you.

Those prices don't seem too bad, not great but not extortionate.

~Rob~
15th August 2005, 03:23 PM
TDI-Plc have the 4000xs golds at 215 fronts and 219 rears. im just getting a price for the slotted only as opposed to the drilled. TDI are the cheapest ive found so far so may order from there.