PDA

View Full Version : Aux drive belt pre tensioner

~Rob~
13th August 2005, 07:26 PM
ok, im still doing the aux. drive belt. ive got the old belt and pre tensioner pully off. now putting on the new belt, i cant seem to figure out how to adjust the pre tensioner. it looks as though its fixed and shouldnt move, however its too tight to get the new belt on with out stretching it. will the pre tensioner arm move with a bit of brut force? i dont wanna end up snapping something!

thanks.

Martin F
13th August 2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah it will move. How i do it is to get the belt pretty much routed except over the tensioner, then use a long bar or screwdriver through the mounting points for the damper and lever the pulley back until i can slip the belt over the pulley.

Unfortunately you won't have this damper as yours is an auto so try using an appropriate sized socket with wrench or spanner on the centre nut of the tensioner.

You may also find this useful if you haven't seen it already http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/general_maintenance/mo1.jpg

~Rob~
13th August 2005, 08:32 PM
so is it the actual arm that the pre tensioner fixes to that im trying to prise? it wont budge at all! iv got the pulley off and im trying to prise the arm down with a bar using the p.steering pump as a lever n the bar is bending!

~Rob~
13th August 2005, 08:51 PM
Aaaaahh Haaaa!! it took 13 and a half stone to move that b**tard!! but the belts on! cheers martin!

Martin F
13th August 2005, 10:19 PM
Shouldn't really have that much trouble, maybe need a longer bar.

~Rob~
13th August 2005, 10:29 PM
i ended up with a 9inch socket wrench on the nut and a 12inch ring spanner on the end of that.