PDA

View Full Version : Cool down & warm up...

~Rob~
6th September 2005, 11:51 AM
i had a turbo timer fitted when i had my remote start alarm fitted to the supe. now the guy fitting the alarm said a usual cool down period for the turbo timer is 1 minute. ive always thought it was 3 min, but i went with his reccomendation. after speaking to a few people they seem to think and let their cars cool for 2 - 3 min. any recomendations?
also, warming up. i have been letting the car warm to operating temp before driving, around 4 min(ish). a friend mentioned it should only be warmed up for about 30 secs?! is this right?

cheers guys!

Chris Rocks
6th September 2005, 12:01 PM
depends on how hard you`ve driven the car before arriving at your driveway...

I usually take it easy for the last few miles and then let the car cool down for 2 mins or so.

if you`ve been boosting it all the way to your doorstep then I`d be giving it at least twice that.

as for warming up I usually give it 5 mins or so..

-c-

The Restorer
6th September 2005, 12:15 PM
Remember it takes alot longer for the oil to get to temp than it does for water. I give my car about 30 seconds before driving off, but won't plant my foot down, until along time after the water has come to temp.

Actually, an oil temp gauge along with the boost gauge is on my list of 'will do once I've managed to convince her'

dunk shaw
6th September 2005, 01:03 PM
I take it easy like chris when getting near to where im going, which gives everything a chance to cool down and probly a minute plus before turning it off.
Think before driving i give it a couple of mins to get warm but when i get going i still take it easy for sometime so anything that heats up & cools down does so gradually,, brakes, g box, diff, engine coolant & oil, etc.

dunk

~Rob~
6th September 2005, 03:15 PM
i dont seem to be to bad then. think ill adjust the turbo timer to run for 2min instead of just the one then! an oil temp gauge sounds a good idea too!

ive been letting the water come up to temp before i even drive off.

dunk shaw
6th September 2005, 04:11 PM
Certainly worth the effort and can only increase the life of parts on your car and the general way your car drives.

Touch wood mines still driving fantastickly at 107,000 + miles and with 430 hp too, so be kind to your car and it'll pay you back and not going bang and cost you a small fortune.

dunk

Martin F
6th September 2005, 06:35 PM
Quote[/b] (~Rob~ @ Sep. 06 2005,16:15)]ive been letting the water come up to temp before i even drive off.
I've heard that this is not necessary with a modern car and oils and can actually be detremental. But i can not remember the source of that information and why it was supposedly detremental.

I just tend to take it easy (whatever car i'm driving) until the water has been up to temp for at least a good few mins.

As for cooling down i have a bypass on the way home which i'd say is about 3/4's mile and i always take it easy along here so that things are quite relaxed by the time i pull up the drive. Probably idle it for about 30secs on top of that last easy part of the journey.

UltraFlynn
6th September 2005, 07:38 PM
I reckon it takes me 30 secs from starting the engine and reversing out of the driveway before I actually get going. So I don't start the car and let it idle at all really.

I've found that if I set the cruise control at 30mph at the start of my village then by the time I reach home I will have done 2 mins at about 1500rpm.

I have got a turbo timer but it's stuffed in my glove box which renders it rather inoperable!

Cuthbert
6th September 2005, 07:44 PM
I'd go with Martin, let it warm up a little & let the engine do the rest while you pull away gently. The manual actually says that prolonged idleing isn't recommended, although I'm not sure if that's applicable here.

slimm
7th September 2005, 07:51 AM
And with the prices on petrol these days the money u'll save on not idling, will surly pay for a nice new turbo or two! http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TT6speedGER
29th September 2005, 10:07 PM
just look in the boxcover behind the gearshift or manual. there are 3 levels depending on the driven speed: 0sec (city cruising), 20sec (up to 60mph), 120 sec (+60mph)
warming up: 10km are enough.