PDA

View Full Version : Engine splutter on 3ltr turbo at cruise

Ikaros97
19th September 2005, 06:55 PM
Hello all, I hope someone can help me. I have a 1991 Supra mk3 Turbo. It was running fine but for being a little lumpy on idle, cruised well and take off was great. I was coming out of a car park yesterday and accelerated hard in 1st gear, now the engine seems to splutter when cruising at all speeds up to seventy where it seems it doesnt do it. Any one have any ideas ? it still smooth if your accelerating and the turbo still sounds well its just when the throttle is level or when you decrease speed through the gears you can feel it being lumpy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Leighton

Martin F
19th September 2005, 07:51 PM
I wonder if accelerating hard when the car is cold might have something to do with it ?

As your car is a MKIII i'd suspect that you are experiencing head gasket problems, but there is the possibility its leads and or plugs. Check the plugs and leads first, especially if they haven't been replaced for a while.

Other than that i would start to suspect the headgasket due to the MKIII's tendancey to blow these. Are you loosing any coolant or seeing any milkiness in your oil ?

Ikaros97
20th September 2005, 08:46 PM
Head gasket has been done reasonably recently, so I thought i'd pop a plug out...... found it gently simmering in a pool of old oil as most of the plugs are out of the 6!!!! I assume plugs and leads are the culprit and it was just a coincidence it appeared to be something other after a fast take off, although it was no way near flat out redlining (was about 4 - 5k rpm). Ive also found numerous rubber pipes split so im amazed it ran at all!!! Thanks for your post though and if anyone knows where I can get a new turbo hose/pipe (From airbox to turbo, the big fat one, has other smaller pipes attached) nr Manchester U.K your help would be appreciated 2nd hand will do fine. I will post back after I fit the new plugs/leads and pipes to confirm all ok.

Many thanks

Leighton

Ikaros97
22nd September 2005, 06:15 PM
Alas the problem has reared its head!!! It IS the head gasket once again. The guy whom I bought the car off had the gasket done not too long ago so im going to pop it back into the garage that did it and hopefully they can do the job properly this time!!!. Just incase they spit there dummy out how much roughly do garages charge to do the head gasket ?.

Many thanks

Leighton

suprarob
22nd September 2005, 07:10 PM
It can cost lots

you need to get the head skimmed and a metal head gasket

look
here (http://www.fensport.co.uk/parts.htm)

then click on the pic of the mk3 third from the right bottom row
click engine tuning and scroll down ---- hks metal head gasket

slimm
23rd September 2005, 07:57 AM
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Sep. 19 2005,20:51)]I wonder if accelerating hard when the car is cold might have something to do with it ?
Sarcasm in it's highest form, brilliant!!

Ikaros97
27th September 2005, 02:11 PM
Nahhh I dont think its sarcasm..... the engine was not cold anyway, was at normal temp, I never mentioned it was cold just said I was coming out of a carpark. Still even if it was cold the head gasket failure would have been iminent anyway.

http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/spank.gif