PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing stock TC to benefit RLTC

RedM
13th March 2006, 10:45 PM
Firstly, apologies if this has been covered. I have searched but didn't come up with an answer. Maybe it's my search terms, I don't know.

I have an auto TT with RLTC fitted. I would like to not have the stock traction control unit sitting anywhere near the car (preferably it'll be buried in a landfill site) but I understand that removing the TC butterfly thing will make the auto gearbox changes jerky to say the least.

Removing the TC fuse, ecu etc. does not solve this.

As it stands I have to press the TRAC control off button everytime I use the car. Not ideal but at least it stops it turning up late to the party and ruining all the good that RLTC does.

Is there a way of disabling the stock TC while leaving it both in place and retaining the smooth gear changes?

Many, many thanks,
Martin

Martin F
14th March 2006, 12:34 AM
If your RLTC is working correctly the stock TC should never come into play. The RLTC usually cuts in and regains grip before the stock TC system has had chance to recognise the problem.

However if your car is a facelift one with the snow mode i know that this can be a bit more sensitive and come into play sooner. In which case i'd say the simplest solution is to get somebody to come up with a delay circuit that activates the TC off button about 2 minutes after starting the car.

UltraFlynn
14th March 2006, 08:03 AM
I have RLTC fitted and also the standard TC. I've never had the stock TC engage at all. I leave it permanently turned on but as Martin mentioned it never gets used.

SKI
30th May 2006, 07:38 PM
I've had RLTC fitted for about 2 years now (it's great), I think someone told me that Pete Betts at Thor can do a switch but I can't remember who told me, it might have been at a meet. It's true that RLTC should cut in well before the stock system, however, whenever I've had a problem, it's always been because I forgot to switch off the stock system, it definitely interferes, best thing is to get into the habit of just hitting the switch whenever you get into the car, PITA I know!

UltraFlynn
30th May 2006, 08:32 PM
I might try a little test tomorrow. I could turn off the RLTC and see what the standard TC does. (I've never experienced it!)

Suprash
31st May 2006, 07:09 AM
(I've never experienced it!)

That might be a good thing.......... ;)

dunk shaw
31st May 2006, 07:26 AM
Youll know when the stock trac system does its thing :twisted: just make sure your not pulling out on someone as it can be a little scary waiting for it to stop and let you have the power back.

The worst thing on the car imo.

UltraFlynn
31st May 2006, 07:32 AM
I was planning on trying it next time it rains a little and when there's no cars around. :)

Cuthbert
31st May 2006, 06:53 PM
get somebody to come up with a delay circuit that activates the TC off button about 2 minutes after starting the car.

This is easy done with a small op-amp with a capacitor on the + input & the o/p activating a relay. When turned on, a + voltage on the + input & 0 voltage on the - input will create a - o/p. As the cap. charges (time depends on the cap size) the o/p will swing + & activate the relay, which obviously you'd wire to the 'TC off' circuit.

Martin F
31st May 2006, 07:09 PM
An op-amp driving a relay :eek:

You may want to check your current draw there as usually op-amps have a very low source current and obviously the coil of a relay will draw a fair bit. You could use a transistor inbetween to buffer things, or indeed just a transistor with an RC combination on its base.

But i was thinking more along the lines of something like a 555 timer circuit.

Cuthbert
31st May 2006, 07:26 PM
This is commonly done in audio amp circuits, it cuts the o/p on start up to prevent the 'thump' thru the speakers when you turn it on.

Martin F
31st May 2006, 07:36 PM
Strange, as have just never seen a relay driven in that fashion and generally associate op-amps with low current drive or differentiating circuits.

UltraFlynn
31st May 2006, 09:23 PM
An op-amp driving a relay :eek:

You may want to check your current draw there as usually op-amps have a very low source current and obviously the coil of a relay will draw a fair bit. You could use a transistor inbetween to buffer things, or indeed just a transistor with an RC combination on its base.

But i was thinking more along the lines of something like a 555 timer circuit.

:wtf: are you b_ggers talking about. Me no understandy.

Kev.O
31st May 2006, 09:39 PM
I haven't heard a 555 timer mentioned since I left school!

Suprash
1st June 2006, 07:40 AM
:wtf: are you b_ggers talking about. Me no understandy.

[Pulls up a seat next to Flynn] And wonders the same..... :D

UltraFlynn
1st June 2006, 07:59 AM
Shall we talk about technical IT stuff and confuse all these electrical engineering types? :)

Currently I'm instantiating a subsystem of recursive polymorphic inner classes which I'll made immutable to ensure a fully refactored transparent interface.

:)

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-05-techlinks/dunce.png

Suprash
1st June 2006, 08:12 AM
Shall we talk about technical IT stuff and confuse all these electrical engineering types?

Currently I'm instantiating a subsystem of recursive polymorphic inner classes which I'll made immutable to ensure a fully refactored transparent interface.

Yeah ok Flynn, guess IT can be more diverse as Im still :wtf:

But guess your role is a little different to what Im used to......

But never mind that, were speak in a computer language their never understand, so I'll just say the following 01001110000010101010011110000010010001000111101010 10001 :tongue2: :laugh:

Cuthbert
1st June 2006, 11:48 AM
I've just googled delay circuits & you can actually buy them premade, if designing one is not you forte. This would probably be the simplest solution.

Martin, IIRC, the o/p if buffered, but I can't honestly remember the complete circuit design.
I think I actually have I 555 timer circuit on verro board I made at Uni :) Ahh the days....

Martin F
1st June 2006, 11:52 AM
Somewhere in the loft i have a 555 projects book. Maybe when i retire i'll get chance to pick it up again ..... LOL