PDA

View Full Version : question about removal of smic.

baz
28th March 2006, 12:03 PM
whats the best/easiest way to mget at the smic? want to change mine to the one i bought not long ago, but im unsure about the best way to go.

anyone done this? or has a link with instrutions?

cheers baz

UltraFlynn
28th March 2006, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that you have to strip the entire car down to fit an SMIC..... That means interior, paint removal, engine strip-down, etc ... one hell of a job. Good luck.

:)

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a sensible answer. You might like to search the FAQ if you havn't already.

baz
28th March 2006, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that you have to strip the entire car down to fit an SMIC..... That means interior, paint removal, engine strip-down, etc ... one hell of a job. Good luck.

:)

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a sensible answer. You might like to search the FAQ if you havn't already.

who's trying to be a funny f**ker then???????

:spanish: im sure someone will be able to help me, or give me a resonable answer other than yours!
only joking hee hee:haha:

faq, here i come:bike:

baz
28th March 2006, 02:08 PM
found it......................

Oh yes, that's how I replaced mine mate.

Just take off headlight, airbox, front wheel, a few hoses to/from airbox and i/c, and the plastic cover inside the wing.
You undo the three i/c mounts (from the larger bolts if necessary) and pull it out complete with the intake ducting, squeezed between the bumper and the discbrake. Tight fit, but it gets through no problem (my brakes are UK, and it still went through)
You stick a piece of cardboard at the back of the new SMIC to protect the fins (they might hit the discbrake once or twice as you wiggle it into place)
To put the new SMIC back you dismantle it from the duct, and pull the duct in first, then the SMIC.
Sit the SMIC on a box or something so that it is roughly at the same height as it would be finally, and screw the duct in place.
Then position the whole SMIC/duct assembly into place and tighten up the 3 mounts

Job done.

Cuthbert
28th March 2006, 06:29 PM
Baz, don't forget to have the wheels on full left lock, this will make removing/fitting not so much of a squeeze. I consider this one of the easier jobs I've done on the supe.

Barney
29th March 2006, 06:56 AM
Baz, I take it the new intercooler was in as good as condition as the seller indicated?

Glad it all came good for you:)

PS: Did you get my PM regarding the Celica parts??

suprarob
29th March 2006, 02:00 PM
when I did mine I didn,t take off the head light or the air box

It took a couple of hours and I was taking my time

good look and enjoy yourself :D