PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Shocks??!

Megatron
12th April 2006, 11:38 PM
Been getting this squeaking noise from my rear suspension (i suspect). Had the car checked out by two different garage and both sed the shocks lookd just fine. They thn chcked the control arm bushings and sed they too look fine! Evn sprayed it with WD-40 just to make sure. The noise is still there :confused: Iam positive its not coming frm the rear hatch, tho it does rattle, every time, and the replacemnt rubber is on its way! I notice that, you can only hear the noise at low speeds (anything below 20 km/h) on an uneven surface but disapears whn moving at other speeds! The noise is really annoying that i mostly turn the volume up on my ICE just to make it go away! Now my ears are ringing frm the loud music :D

UltraFlynn
13th April 2006, 07:11 AM
You sure it's not your boot rubbers?

Megatron
13th April 2006, 07:20 AM
Pretty sure it aint the hatch! Cud still hear the hatch rattling at speeds in excess of 100 kmh!! :rolleyes2: Its a totally different noise. Oh i had the stabliser bar replaced too! But the noise is still there :wtf:

UltraFlynn
13th April 2006, 09:07 AM
Could you get a friend to hang over the back of the car and listen for it as you drive along at 100 kmh?

:)

These sort of issues are a pain to diagnose. I know too well as I have a few of them myself.

Suprash
14th April 2006, 06:40 AM
Mate Im suffering similar noises myself, and I suspect, also hoping its the front sub frame bolts. I remember seeing reports in the past of people hearing a squeaking, I would say personally its more of a creaking at low speeds, especially when parking. When I drive along a wall or building with the passenger window open I can hear a scuffing noise front the front passenger wheel, but jack the car up and spin it and nothing. It only seems to happen when there is weight on the car.

I have the car booked in on a ramp for Tuesday to check the front sub frame bolts, so would advise checking yours especially if its a early year.

Megatron
16th April 2006, 01:50 AM
Definitely sure its not the hatch! Had a copla buddies ride at the back and they seem to agree that there are two different noises altogether. At low speeds its definitely a squeaking noise ( i dun noe how else to describe it) and at other driving speeds (80kmh above) a rattling noise (which iam assuming is the notorious hatch rattling). The only way i can make sure is to eliminate the hatch rattle first. Ive ordered a pair of rubber stoppers frm Mr T himself, but they said it'l take a month and a half for it to arrive!! :doh: And the squeaking noise, seems to come from the rear not the front! Its driving me insane..and deaf!!! M thnking its cause by the dry bushings??! (m just gussn here :D ) Nwy, let me noe ow it turns up on your car mate:tongue2:

Megatron
30th April 2006, 11:29 PM
So my replacement rubber hatch finally arrived! Got it fitted at the local dealer and to my complete and utter shock the rattling which i originally thought was attributed to the worn out hatch rubbers, was still there!!:wtf: Though i must admit there are now less noise, Ive discovered that in fact there were originally 3 sets of noises. One from the hatch, another from the rear suspension (bush.. i'm assuming) and finally, rattling noise from the rear hatch window itself! I noticed that everytym i slam d driver's door shut, the rear window would rattle! :confused: So now it appears that i have to replace the whole rubber on the rear window frame! So has anybody had the same problems? And wots the cost of replacing em rubber?? To top it off, i still havent the faintest idea where the squeaky noise is coming from either! :mad:

Martin F
1st May 2006, 11:08 AM
So now it appears that i have to replace the whole rubber on the rear window frame! So has anybody had the same problems? And wots the cost of replacing em rubber??

This would be a very unusual problem if this is what yours is. The rubber is actually attached to the glass and then bonded to the hatch, so i'm wondering if somebody in the past has maybe replaced the glass and not bonded it in place properly, probably worth further investigation before you go ordering parts up.

Also i'd try removing everything from your hatch area and going for a drive as people have quite often found rattles coming from the tool kit, jack, spare wheel etc. Give it a go as its not going to cost you anything and you may just come across one of your rattles, just remember to take everything out including the foam\polystyrene pieces and spare wheel.

Megatron
3rd May 2006, 02:28 AM
Thanxs martin! I did as u suggested. And the rattles are still there! They're definitely coming from the rear hatch window! I'm afraid to ask how much its going to cost to replace em rubber, and whether i would be better off turning up the wick on my sound system to drain out the noise! Hmm.. well no pain no gain eh? :D

Martin F
3rd May 2006, 08:03 AM
I think if there is any question about the rear window not being bonded in properly i'd want to get that sorted as the last thing you want is for it to drop out when going over a bump in the road :O