PDA

View Full Version : turbo lag

j80leo
18th April 2006, 12:45 PM
does any body know how to get around lag, i wanted to get some more power later and was looking at hybrids or maybe a single was looking at 450 at the wheels

Guyver
18th April 2006, 05:42 PM
One way is to use nitrous oxide (N2O) injection....

http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/nitrous-with-turbos.htm

Hope this helps.

Martin F
18th April 2006, 07:06 PM
Lag is over rated by some :D

If your goal is 450 at the wheels then by all accounts you should be able to select a turbo that gives you no worse lag than the stock setup.

Take a look at this site for lots of info http://www.moreboost.org/turbos.htm

I would strongly advise plotting your boost curve on the compressor map of the turbo you choose, as this will show you how efficient your turbo will be at the various pressures. It will also give an indication (only) of how quickly it may spool up.

As Guyver mentions there are other things which can be done to try and reduce turbo lag, including tuning, nitrous and anti-lag systems.

dunk shaw
21st April 2006, 06:07 AM
:nos: is a good way of doing it but dont most ins comps run a mile or 2 if you have it on a rd car ??

Suprash
23rd April 2006, 08:04 AM
Dunk, I doubt you'll find a insurance company that 'would' insure it period..... ;)

Martin, was is a anti-lag system exactly ??????

Martin F
23rd April 2006, 12:14 PM
Anti-Lag systems attempt to keep the turbos spinning whilst you are off the throttle, so that when you come back on the throttle the turbos are already spinning at speed, rather than you having to wait for them to come back up to speed.

On some of the systems i have seen described they inject a reduced amount of fuel into the chamber when you are off throttle and ingnite this just as the mixture is leaving the exhaust, so that combustion is occuring partially in the exhaust manifold. This ignition then obviously causes the turbo blades to spin up.

Its not very friendly to the turbos and most likely reduces there life span quite a bit, but that wasn't a big issue in rallying where it originated.

j80leo
23rd April 2006, 08:02 PM
you can get turbos to take the anti lag system but which ones???

Martin F
23rd April 2006, 08:16 PM
Not heard of those, probably worth checking out Garrett's website.