PDA

View Full Version : Door speakers

darryl
18th April 2006, 07:43 PM
What is the best average cost speakers to replace the door speakers. I've got the door cards off and want to fit the speakers straight into the door. I think they are 9" ?

darryl
22nd April 2006, 08:51 PM
Sorted. They were 6 1/2". Used JL components @?150. Sounds good.

suprarob
23rd April 2006, 11:13 AM
hi darryl

so do the 61/2 in speakers fit straight in the doors then
have you got any pic,s ?

darryl
24th April 2006, 09:39 AM
They do fit straight in after a little cutting out (not difficult). I'm making a plate for the speaker to sit in to tidy it all up. Will get photos up when i've finished.

slick
29th April 2006, 11:56 AM
The rears they go straight in Rob, the fronts don't. The stock speakers sit in a fairly large (compared to the speaker itself) plastic housing/pod that fits in the mold of the door inner, you remove this and then make up a MDF or whatever adaptor to hold your new speakers.

suprarob
29th April 2006, 02:43 PM
mmmmm I,ve been looking and Focal do some 4 inch ones which I think would be a straight replacement but I don,t know if they will sound as good as yours steve.

still trying to make my mind up at the moment

J-S14A
1st May 2006, 08:36 PM
mmmmm I,ve been looking and Focal do some 4 inch ones which I think would be a straight replacement but I don,t know if they will sound as good as yours steve.

still trying to make my mind up at the moment

In my experience, focal make some of the best speakers going. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

slick
1st May 2006, 10:53 PM
In my experience, focal make some of the best speakers going. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

My speakers which Rob was referring to are Focal, he was meaning he was contemplating whether opting for 4" rather than the larger ones would be an issue :coolpeek:

Rob, its upto you m8, I'd go with the larger everytime if it was me.... you may wish you had after. Polyglass range up front are what I got, but using the normal 165's in the rear is more than adequate for me. To be honest the 165's alround would be great anyway, afterall no point getting too daft when it comes to incar audio unless your gona go all the way in everything and be a proper nerd :)

suprarob
2nd May 2006, 08:34 AM
ease of fitting was one of my criteria. I,m not going to go mad on a mega install (haven,t got the money for that ) looking for quality in all area,s though

darryl
25th June 2006, 01:53 PM
Just thought i would attempt to put up a photo of the speaker bracket i made (minus speaker grill)

Cass
4th September 2006, 08:23 AM
Im replacing my speakes as the standards are all rotten aleady done the rear but starting to get a little worried after looking at the how to section is all that work necesary or can i just pop out the door panel and un screw the ond ones and put new ones in thought id ask b4 i start the front Cheers Cass .

andyw3000
4th September 2006, 10:34 AM
i bought 2 4" alpines from halfrauds, and took my door panels off then got the speaker boxes out (the originals) took a hammer and thin flat end screwdriver and knocked the old ones out and replaced with the 4" i had to seal the edges as they werent an exact fit but when i put all this back together and switched on,,, sounded great.. so if you want to save time theres one option.. worked for me..

andyw3000
4th September 2006, 10:35 AM
oh... the original toyota speakers were 200 odd pound from mr-T

Cass
4th September 2006, 11:04 AM
Yea its the Alpine 13cms im putin in thats the road i was gona go down just looked a little complicated on the how to page. I had to man handle the rear ones out i thought the little people at Toyota had spot welded them in at one point

andyw3000
4th September 2006, 04:52 PM
i had the same problem with the rear but like you said a bit of "gentle" persuasion and out they popped. most people ive spoke to and a few on here go for 6" in the doors, which involves a bit of fabrication,but seeing as how im lazy the swop was the option i went for, im happy enough.

Cass
6th September 2006, 02:06 PM
Im fittin my fronts the now but can't even get the door pannel off ive taken all the screws out and the plastic things u push whats holdin it on?:confused:

Cass
6th September 2006, 02:22 PM
Got it off now!
i should of looked at the size of speaker first the 1 i bought as slightly bigger i need to bolt it to the door pannel now ill post a pic when jobs done.

Cass
7th September 2006, 07:18 PM
Job done looks not bad and sounds ace im glad it turned out ok after buying the totaly wrong size of speakers! see for ur self!:jiggy:

UltraFlynn
7th September 2006, 08:28 PM
Doesn't look like the wrong size to me mate. Looks fitted quite well.

FWIW, I'd never have open speakers like that because I know my kids would try to poke things in them. :)

Cass
7th September 2006, 08:36 PM
I was gona fit them to the toyota speaker box but had to take it out as it never fitted that thing weighs a fiar bit anyway so i bolted them to the door card they are on solid.They have a mesh gaurd on just dont show up because of the flash.My kids r the same i know how u feel.

andyw3000
7th September 2006, 09:23 PM
they look good nice job. i fitted mine to the boxes you mentioned. and used the original grills,so they look the same. nice sound too. hows your sound? are you doing anything in the back?inc parcel shelf thingy..

Cass
7th September 2006, 10:59 PM
ive put alpine in the rear and im leaving it at that im not going mad with it id rather have the window down and listen to the car but the wife likes to play cd's lol

supra dave
11th September 2006, 03:49 PM
so let me get this straight... just how much fabricaiton is needed... cos idont like all that tomfoolery,it worries me.. i might settle for purchasing the original from mr T!!!

Cass
21st September 2006, 04:56 AM
The only fab done was trimming a little of the door card ie a few mils part from that the job was done both sides in an hour max or you can get the standard size and screw them into the original box.Oh forgot i had to remove the speaker box and take out the fe-male socket for the speaker wire then just plug it back on again after its a piece of piss even my wife could do it Well mabey not lol:dance:

andyw3000
21st September 2006, 11:08 AM
If you do go to mr T take about 250 quid with you.. thats what i was quoted, and the guy said the sound wasnt that hot!!!

Cass
21st September 2006, 11:17 AM
Well i paid 40 squid for the speakers and 2 coffees later the job was done do the job your self m8 its as easy as overtaking a Evo on the motorway!!!
The guy that said 250 must of been on drugs or driving your car to Spain to do the job!!:D

And it sounds perfect not a prob my end!

andyw3000
21st September 2006, 11:49 AM
what i mean is the original toyota speakers for the front. you know the ones in the box?? i did what you did and got my own..

Cass
21st September 2006, 12:11 PM
Wow :hand: didn't know toyota done diamond and platinum front speakers well they must be for that money thats alot of cash for low quality stuff oh well.

andyw3000
21st September 2006, 12:18 PM
exactly why i done it mesellf, rip off merchants...

Supradude666
19th December 2006, 02:18 PM
Ive got 17cm Kenwoods in my front doors, havent touched the rears as there still as good as new.. and sound fantastic..:nos:

~Rob~
19th December 2006, 03:41 PM
Ive got 17cm Kenwoods in my front doors, havent touched the rears as there still as good as new.. and sound fantastic..:nos:

did they fit in the stock brackets or have you had to fashion some new ones to make them fit?

~Rob~
20th December 2006, 06:37 PM
just purchased some 2nd hand 6.5 inch Fli front speakers. hope theyre an easy fit!

Supradude666
21st December 2006, 10:20 AM
No they didnt fit witht he original brackets had to make my own fitments. they cost me £50 from a car audio store that was closing down a about 2 years ago now..