View Full Version : Front brakes for uk spec

J-S14A
19th April 2006, 07:39 AM
Hey guys, I have a trip to the nurburgring coming up in under a month, and have decided it would be a good idea to change my front discs and pads. Any ideas what after market discs and pads are available for the uk spec, and how much? (don't want to go to silly money, but the supras past bpu so uprated parts are probably a good idea)

The Restorer
19th April 2006, 04:04 PM
Surprised no-ones picked this up. Chris Wilson rates the UK discs highly and as for pads he does a set.

I'm running 5 groove TRD discs and pads on the front and can't complain.

Other than that though you could use DBA discs which someone on here will have and Envy do 3G discs with Endless pads which they rate well.

Don't forget to put in braided hoses and Dot5.1 brake fluid as well.

Regards,

Moaeed

Martin F
19th April 2006, 06:48 PM
The combinations that Mo has mentioned are all pretty good and should hold up well. Just keep away from drilled disks.

I would strongly recommend taking a spare set of pads with you, even if its only stock Toyota ones, as the MKIV is a heavy car and its easy to get through a set of pads if you are heavy on the brakes. Changing them is a piece of piss as well, so rather have them in the glove box then get stranded somewhere with no brakes.

J-S14A
19th April 2006, 09:05 PM
I've been looking at some 3g grooved discs and porterfield pads from whifbitz.
Has anybody got experience with this setup? I'm going to take my existing pads as spares as they still have some life left in them.

dunk shaw
20th April 2006, 07:20 AM
Only ever used oe uk brakes and find them more than up to the job of stopping the mkiv, even at the Nurburgring.

Def worth doing a brake fluid change as that will be the weak link in your brakes which a lot of pps forget about, its is easy peasy to do with a pressure bleed, recently did mine and the fluid that came out was in a poor condition, old fluid wont deal with the heat anything like new and you end up with the brake pedal going to the floor :eek: i had this at Donnington once which isnt fun when your going into the foggy esses to find bugger all ?

chiefgroover
20th April 2006, 10:51 PM
I was at the ring 3 times last year. FWIW The pad to use is Endless CCX, it way out in front of the others. I also used DBA golds, great stuff they were.
5.1 (motul) is a must. Silicone is a disaster.
Also change your PAS fluid, I didnt and it cost me a rack and a pump and almost my life. It can and sooner or later will boil up.
Also contact TTE-technics (TTE-Technics@t-online.de), so when you get there they can do a camber/castor/toe setup to suit the ring (and all other types of driving). Usually 1 to 2 hours and Marc being an ex porsche/chevvy race engineer will leave your car way better. Budget 36 to 72 euro.
Dont over inflate your tyres, or over lower/stiffen your car or it will bite you in the arse good and proper. :) Oh yeah and enjoy your supra where it goes best - on the ring!

J-S14A
1st May 2006, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=chiefgroover]
5.1 (motul) is a must. Silicone is a disaster.
Also change your PAS fluid, I didnt and it cost me a rack and a pump and almost my life. It can and sooner or later will boil up.
Also contact TTE-technics (TTE-Technics@t-online.de), so when you get there they can do a camber/castor/toe setup to suit the ring (and all other types of driving). Usually 1 to 2 hours and Marc being an ex porsche/chevvy race engineer will leave your car way better. Budget 36 to 72 euro.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, I've been so busy trying to organise everything, I completely overlooked the power steering fluid. got some brake fluid on the way from whifbitz too.