PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my run around...

~Rob~
26th April 2006, 09:42 AM
Ive got ( dont laugh, it was only ?150) a 1989 VW Polo CL, 1300cc carb. after nearly 12 months of loyal service, it seems to keep conking out on me. eventually, it gave up the chase and i had to park up and walk home.

what happens is... the car 'judders', as though there is no fuel, and with every judder, it looses approx 5mph off the speedo. there is always fuel in so its not that im running out.
it had a ned dizzy cap a coule of months ago and ive check that the sparkies are sparking, so hopefully rulled out electrical probs.
what we did notice was that when its idling the fuel filter (which is a little small see through plastic thing) more or less drys up before the engine cuts out. it then wont start unless we flap the choke a bit.

this has led me to believe my fuel pump (which is mechanical) is shagged...any thought?

The Restorer
26th April 2006, 10:03 AM
I'm selling the wifes Fiesta. It's ten times more than the Polo but it's been reliable as hell for me.

96P, Si model, zetec 1.4, spoiler, alloy wheels, PAS, CD changer, blue can't go wrong really!

Other than that I've no idea

Moaeed

ICEMAN
26th April 2006, 03:19 PM
Sounds about right to me Rob! take it of and hold it in your hand press the lever against the body should here a suction kind of noise and quite a bit of tension if its weak an gives little noise recistance id go for that they arent much from most factors/gasket or hylomar it back on stops leaks, also give the fuel pipe a blow could have bit of shit in it or perished rubber from the old hose.
Hope this helps bro!

Later ICEMAN!

~Rob~
26th April 2006, 05:25 PM
I'm selling the wifes Fiesta. It's ten times more than the Polo but it's been reliable as hell for me.

96P, Si model, zetec 1.4, spoiler, alloy wheels, PAS, CD changer, blue can't go wrong really!

Other than that I've no idea

Moaeed

Shameless plug there Mo! lol!

my budget was 200 quid for a run around, and 50 quid to fix it if it ever needs fixing. so ill give you 350 quid for the fiesta...:twisted: lol, only joking!

ive just got a quote form the parts gateway for a fuel pump, 8.21 delivered to the door! for that price its worth a try! yeah ill get a gasket to try n prevent any future fuel leak!

cheers guys!