PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid

J-S14A
4th May 2006, 06:01 PM
Upon excellent reccomendation by by someone on here, I'm going to change my power steering fluid. How much of the stuff will I need, and are any brands better than others?

Suprash
5th May 2006, 06:06 PM
I would just the Toyota stuff mate, its really not an issue for power stearing fluid, I believe its the same as auto-transmission fluid.......thats what I got from them..... :coolpeek:

Martin F
5th May 2006, 07:33 PM
Any good quality Dexron II or equivalent will be fine. There are aftermarket brands which may alleviate certain issues (worn seals etc) but AFAIK theres not one wonderful 'must have' type.

If the fluid you take out is pretty dirty and dark it may be worth changing the fluid say every month or 1000 miles for a while to try and flush the system through. Quite often find that over the years PS fluid gets overlooked so by the time you do come to change it, its pretty manky

J-S14A
14th May 2006, 08:42 PM
What's the best method of draining the fluid on a supra?

Martin F
14th May 2006, 09:43 PM
Take the cap off the PS reservoir. Remove EFI 1 & 2 fuses.

Take the bottom tray off, and disconnect one of the hoses on the low pressure side (the hoses with spring clips).

Place the hose in a large jar or similar and flick the engine round on the starter so that the pump spins. This should pump the fluid out into the jar and just keep doing it until no more comes out.

I'm not sure if this is the way the TRSM describes and i'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but its the way i've done it in the past.

Suprash
15th May 2006, 06:11 AM
Take the cap off the PS reservoir. Remove EFI 1 & 2 fuses.

Take the bottom tray off, and disconnect one of the hoses on the low pressure side (the hoses with spring clips).

Place the hose in a large jar or similar and flick the engine round on the starter so that the pump spins. This should pump the fluid out into the jar and just keep doing it until no more comes out.

I'm not sure if this is the way the TRSM describes and i'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but its the way i've done it in the past.

What do you mean hoses on the low pressure side mate ? Sorry just I might do this next week......

Martin F
15th May 2006, 08:02 AM

The hoses on the high pressure side are not so easy to remove.

Suprash
15th May 2006, 09:10 AM
The hoses on the high pressure side are not so easy to remove.

Gotcha so it will be quite obvious..............;)