PDA

View Full Version : Irratic idle

darryl
6th May 2006, 06:30 PM
Finished work today, started car which as usual went up to 2k tickover (cold)but suddenly started 'hunting' between 1200rpm and 2000rpm :wtf: Any ideas. Is it normal to go to 2000rpm on cold start up? seems very high to me, although it does settle down to 800 rpm fairly quick.

Suprash
6th May 2006, 06:35 PM
Darryl, :wtf: is going on here, both our cars have started the same problem and pratically the same time, lol......

Mine started after I leave you yesterday, I chased a motorbike down the dual carriageway and after that it started hunting severelly (sp)......

How spooky is this and we both posted at the same time...... :console:

Martin F
6th May 2006, 07:01 PM
Have either of you had your batteries off recently ?

darryl
6th May 2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah just fitted a new one on thursday

Suprash
6th May 2006, 07:18 PM
Nope not me Martin, battery not been off in ages.......

Me and Darrly are now planning a joint 'clean your idle control valves' day on Monday........ :D

darryl
6th May 2006, 07:29 PM
What does taking the battery off do? Got me worried now. Is my car going to take off :D

Suprash
6th May 2006, 07:34 PM
What does taking the battery off do? Got me worried now. Is my car going to take off :D

Yeah, dunno, I was wondering the same, where's he gone....... :confused:

Martin F
6th May 2006, 08:51 PM
Your ECU will be re-learning which quite often results in erratic idle.

However its usually sorted after doing a few miles. Give it a few more days anyway and see if it's still happening.

Suprash
6th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Your ECU will be re-learning which quite often results in erratic idle.

However its usually sorted after doing a few miles. Give it a few more days anyway and see if it's still happening.

This aint the ECU re-learning mate, its far too abnormal and erratic. When the car is first started it idles on the chock well above 1500 rpm, nearer 2000, and it sounds like its revving its nutts off, cant be good for a cold engine, so I start driving it straight away at the moment, better to drive on 1000rpm then let it sit there at 2000rpm. Its sensor or something related, or small moving part stuck, ie ICV........ ;)

Martin F
6th May 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm not talking about yours i'm talking about Darryls, go back to your own thread :p

I have seen close on 2000rpm when the car is relearning.

Suprash
6th May 2006, 09:59 PM
I'm not talking about yours i'm talking about Darryls, go back to your own thread :p

:doh: :doh: :doh:

cossack
7th May 2006, 11:57 AM
:laugh: I'm not talking about yours i'm talking about Darryls, go back to your own thread :p

I have seen close on 2000rpm when the car is relearning. :laugh:

darryl
7th May 2006, 03:05 PM
Has been better today re hunting, but still idling at as much as 2200rpm on cold start up! Its done that since i had it. Maybe like Ash said the ICV?

Martin F
7th May 2006, 04:08 PM
Well cleaning it out isn't going to hurt, so go for it.

darryl
9th May 2006, 08:06 AM
Cleaned it up (was black!) Put back together started her up and went to 1700 but dropped to 1200 pretty quick. Went for drive to warm up to temp, stopped and allowed to idle, but still idling at 1200? Had lunch, went back out started and idled at 850 straight away. Went for short drive, stopped and idiling back at 1200. Whats going on? DO you think i need to reset ecu and start again with clean iscv?

Martin F
10th May 2006, 07:22 PM
It's going to be a bit hard to say without looking at your car directly, but i think now i'd be looking for any split hoses. Possibly a small split which is letting in or out air in certain situations and not others.

If that doesn't throw anything up i think i'd be tempted to clean out the ISCV again, give it a spray of WD40 to help lubrication and then put it back together again.

Suprash
12th May 2006, 06:27 AM
How did you get on yesterday Daz after you left mine, as it was idling nice sat outside my house around the 600/700 mark......?

J-S14A
12th May 2006, 07:30 AM
Sorry for invading your thread, but where is the idle control valve located. I think mine could do with a clean.

Martin F
12th May 2006, 08:11 AM
On the engine side of the intake plenum, roughly around cylinder No.5

Somebody else may have a pic.

Suprash
12th May 2006, 08:15 AM
;)

darryl
12th May 2006, 09:32 AM
When i got to work it was still idling at 7-800. When i finished at 12:00am it went up to 1600 and settled to 1200. Got home and still stuck at 1000? Might strip the whole intake down and clean. Can't see any split hoses.

Martin, I read somewhere wd40 is the worst thing to use (can't remember where) cus it blocks it up? I've been using degreaser.

The iscv is different on a NA. Its on top of the block to the left before the tps.

J-S14A
12th May 2006, 09:58 AM
;)

Cheers guys!

darryl
13th May 2006, 10:55 PM
Ended up stripping intake right down and giving a good clean. Put back together and still idling too high. Took the icv apart to find out just how it works and from what i can figure it just rotates on a thread which moves a plunger in and out to control the idle speed. I guess the control comes from the ecu? When i put it back in, i turned the plunger one full revolution so that it would be further in and restricting the air flow hopefully lowering the idle speed. Started her up and bingo idling at approx 1100 at cold, and once warmed up, at 650rpm. Sounds a lot better now. Are these the correct idle speeds?

Suprash
14th May 2006, 05:55 AM
Sounds about right to me mate........well done chap.......:coolpeek: