PDA

View Full Version : Annoying caliper pins

J-S14A
8th May 2006, 07:28 AM
I have spent the weekend fitting new coilovers, brakes discs and pads. Whilst trying to fit the new pads, the pins (which the pads slide on) Have decided to become seized, and the ends flared when I tried knocking them through.

Any Ideas on the best way of removing them? (I guess it will involve drilling!)
And any idea on mr toyotas part number for uk spec caliper pins?

Martin F
8th May 2006, 08:27 AM
Yep will most likely involve drilling.

But first try cutting them in the middle and knocking them through with something hard and smaller diameter than the pin. If not then you will have to drill them. Worth soaking with something like Plusgas for an hour before you make a start as well.

I think there is a fitting kit you can buy from Toyota with the pins and shims in, will dig out the part numbers when i get home.

J-S14A
8th May 2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about cutting te pins on the inside about 1cm up from where they enter the body of the caliper. I guess knocking it through when cut would be much easier than with a whole pin, as there's only the resistance of it going through 1 wall of the caliper body, rather than both.

Don't worry about the part actually Martin, I'll phone the dealer this morning and hope for the best.

(Taking the car on holiday in a little over a week, so times starting to get a bit short!)

J-S14A
8th May 2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about cutting the pins on the inside about 1cm up from where they enter the body of the caliper. I guess knocking it through when cut would be much easier than with a whole pin, as there's only the resistance of it going through 1 wall of the caliper body, rather than both.

Don't worry about the part number actually Martin, I'll phone the dealer this morning and hope for the best.

(Taking the car on holiday in a little over a week, so times starting to get a bit short!)

Rajinder
8th May 2006, 09:20 AM
Make sure when you fit new pins to use copper grease so you wont have this problem in future. I always fit new pins and keep the old ones to knock the existing pins in case they seize. You might have got the part no by now here they are anyway.
T90240-06019 @ 1.37 + VAT
T90240-06017 @ 1.42 + VAT.

One is for the front and the other for the back.

J-S14A
8th May 2006, 10:33 AM
Make sure when you fit new pins to use copper grease so you wont have this problem in future. I always fit new pins and keep the old ones to knock the existing pins in case they seize. You might have got the part no by now here they are anyway.
T90240-06019 @ 1.37 + VAT
T90240-06017 @ 1.42 + VAT.

One is for the front and the other for the back.

Thanks mate. Already ordered a full set of pins and some new rear discs this morning. Will definately use some copper slip.

On aa slightly different note, my traction control light has illuminated since i finished the other brake, I take it i've disturbed a sensor or a wire maybe?

Chris Wilson
16th June 2006, 03:45 PM
I take the calipers off and centre drill the pin heads, then drill them out fully, on a milling machine. You CAN do it witha pistol drill if you are careful and good with one. You can also totally *ugger the calipers too, if the converse applies.