View Full Version : leaky rim!!!

supra dave
10th May 2006, 02:56 PM
Hello peeps,

got me a problem. my Veilside alloy wheel is leakin air from the split of the rim. the tyre place bloke side about an 'O' ring in between the 2 parts of the alloy. but i think i might of bent the wheel. there are so many pot holes in my town its impossible to miss all of them.

if its a case of a new rim then im gonna get some, but need some advise on offset and all that number jazz of the wheel to fit a sup.
also for a 275 at rear and a 245 at front, what size alloy (width ways) would i need for these tyres..

supra dave
11th May 2006, 07:17 PM
can anyone shed some light?

J-S14A
12th May 2006, 07:26 AM
I would try taking the wheel to an engineer who repairs wheels, let thm have a look. i've never come accross o'rings before when fitting tyres, but i'm not overly experienced at it so I could be wrong.

Suprash
12th May 2006, 07:46 AM
Dave, let me know if you found somewhere to repair your alloy, I was unsuccesefull in finding someone to repair mine, albeit with slightly more damage, but I found when it comes to wheels people just dont want the liability of it..... ;)

Im interested as I still have my wheel and there is some money tied up in it...............

J-S14A
12th May 2006, 07:50 AM
Dave, let me know if you found somewhere to repair your alloy, I was unsuccesefull in finding someone to repair mine, albeit with slightly more damage, but I found when it comes to wheels people just dont want the liability of it..... ;)

Im interested as I still have my wheel and there is some money tied up in it...............

There is a place in Bishopthorpe, just outside of York who does it.
The guy runs his own engineering firm and rally team.

I think he might be a bit mad though, as he uses a PORSCHE BOXTER as a rally car! (Fully stripped out and prepared, with a cage, graphics!)

Martin F
12th May 2006, 08:10 AM
There's not usually an O ring inbetween the different pieces but a bead of silicon sealant. It's kind of unusual for this to fail over time but it can happen.

The most popular reasons for a leaky rim seem to be corrosion, leaky valve or damage to the rim.

If its just the sealant then you can probably sort it, but i doubt you'll find somebody who will take on the liability of doing the job for you. :(

Cuthbert
12th May 2006, 06:06 PM
Mine leak (or would leak), but the guys at National coat the inner edges with some black sealant stuff & it does the job fine. Mine are corroded though.

supra dave
12th May 2006, 10:02 PM
thanks guys for all your replies.. definatly some to ponder over tonight before i go to bed..

other way is to get a loan. lol but i wont just wanna do alloys. i would want a loan big enough to do the single conversion and brake upgrade.. thats when it starts getting a bit serious.

but i just dont know guys.. i was planning of selling it within the next few monts, but im not the type of person to ship the car of to some unsuspecting buyer with problems. looks bad on me, looks bad on wheels, and most importantly looks bad on the car, Supra.

i thnk im gonna have to seriously think about what im going to do within the next few weeks but in th meantime just pump the tyre up everytime i ned to use the car!!!

i think im going bonkers :twisted: :twisted: :confused: :confused:

Suprash
13th May 2006, 06:01 AM
i would want a loan big enough to do the single conversion and brake upgrade.. thats when it starts getting a bit serious.

I think you should stick with that plan.......................and then keep her :D

Mate, seriously though I wouldnt go and spend ??k on the car just so you dont feel your passing a bad car on, no one's going to thank you, except the next owner ;), and you wont get your money back off it. For single, brakes and alloys you could be looking at 5.5k+. If I was spending that, I would be planning on keeping her for as long as..........

dunk shaw
13th May 2006, 06:25 AM
Go to a tyre fitting shop and get them to balance the wheel up and youll soon know if its bent by watching it spin or by it being out of balance, obviously leaving the weights on it as it comes off the car.
Check the inner and outer edges for run out

I'll do a sketch regarding sealing the wheel and post up shortly

dunk shaw
13th May 2006, 06:55 AM
ok in theory you dont need to seal the mating faces of split rims, you only need to seal the join that ive arrowed in blue, just degrease the surface so theres no problem with the sealer sticking to the wheel and build up a band of sealer.