PDA

View Full Version : knocking sounds

andyw3000
5th June 2006, 08:54 PM
i noticed a knocking sound comin from the drivers side rear wheel area.. took to garage and we had it up on ramps we did all the usual checks shockers/bushes/bearings etc... no problems, its when i go on rough roads the knock knock accompanied by a dull rattle..... it stops on smooth roads. the car feels ok, HELP!!!!! any clues?? am i overlookin something obvious?? ie a common fault any help greatly appreciated. oh yes i got my 18 inch 5 spokes,, but its not that... it was happenin b4 wheels changed..... and i cleaned it.. wahoo.!!!

Martin F
5th June 2006, 09:01 PM
Have you checked the rear hatch rubbers\bumpers?

Quite a common failing as they usually perish and collapse, mainly the lower ones on the body of the car.

Barney
6th June 2006, 07:02 AM
Andy, you could try spraying WD40 onto the bushes/rubbers etc.

Wheel nuts are fully tightened? Obvious I know, but worth checking.

Might be worth taking someone out in the car so they can listen more carefully to the noise and see if they can pinpoint it more precisely for you.

suprarob
6th June 2006, 01:38 PM
You haven,t got any loose spanners in the boot have you ? :)

andyw3000
6th June 2006, 02:49 PM
i will try all the above includin the loose spanner one, you never know.. i took the mechanic out and he said it was definitely coming from the rear driver side.... i origionally thought it was from the front.. when you say the rear hatch do you mean inside the "boot" or underneath.. well here i go to get my hands dirty,

Suprash
9th June 2006, 04:45 PM
Where the rear hatch closes onto the car you'll see a black rubber gromit thing on either side, its basically what the rear hatch closes onto, like wise there are two rubbers on the underside of the boot hatch that sit on the bottom two, feck thats one to make something confusing, open your boot man, you'll see them, they dry out over time and can start to squeek.

Failing that as others have said, check wheel nuts, only wish I had ;), might also be worth checking your rear sub frame bolts, I know I go on about these but people were reporting them loose by the half dozen a few years ago, now it seems this issue has all but disappeared from the Supra community......:confused:

darryl
10th June 2006, 06:49 PM
might also be worth checking your rear sub frame bolts, I know I go on about these but people were reporting them loose by the half dozen a few years ago, now it seems this issue has all but disappeared from the Supra community......:confused:

Where are theese bolts mate? I've developed a bit of a knock which sounds like it's coming from the rear left and right side.

Suprash
11th June 2006, 08:06 AM
Where are theese bolts mate? I've developed a bit of a knock which sounds like it's coming from the rear left and right side.

Just look for the sub frames underneath mate that all the suspension parts bolt onto, your then see some quite large bolts holding it to the chassis, just make sure their all tight as I said before on the front more so people have reported these bolts working loose over time, which has always worried me slightly ;)

Mate we need to get you round mine soon, really need those wheels sorting ;)