PDA

View Full Version : Changing discs and pads....

Suprash
22nd June 2006, 06:37 PM
It looks like I will be having a crack at this myself as Im struggling to find someone local that could do it for me before Sundays for Jap Show. So was just wondering if you guys could help me out on the following:

1) Is there any online tech articles that I could use.
2) Do I need any special tools.
3) Im planning on spraying my calipers as well, would it be easier to leave the caliper on the break line to save having to bleed the system or would you advise its better to remove the caliper completely, if so is it obvious how to remove the caliper from the brake line, this is the only part of the job that really concerns me.

As Im sure some of you have done this basic task before are there any pointers you would advise to maybe make the job easier that you have got from experience......

I will search on both forums for any threads, but if anyone knows of any good threads in particular I would appreciate it, I'll also check mkiv.com ;)

:coolpeek:

suprarob
22nd June 2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Ash
I,ll be doing mine this week end :)

As for painting the calipers you don,t have to remove them just be careful not to paint the bleed nipple to the caliper leave a bit of a gap around it. I would use a paint that is brush on, spraying will be less accurate.

you will have to make sure that the caliper is free from dust and any loose paint that might be on there and grease free.

Are you doing the rear discs as well ?

Martin F
22nd June 2006, 07:04 PM
This might be helpful

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/brake_replacement/index.html

If you've not worked on a brake system before and don't have a friend to hand who has, then i strongly recommend you don't disconnect the calipers. Particularly when you want to use the car in the next few days.

That being said the best way to paint the calipers is to have them off the car, but you can do a reasonable job with them on the car still.

No special tools required.

Suprash
22nd June 2006, 07:19 PM
Spot on guys, exactly what I wanted to know.... ;)

Suprash
27th June 2006, 08:52 AM
Guys got this completed and found it far easier to remove the caliper completely and then bleed the system after. If I hadnt I would have probably ended up with blue paint everywhere.....

One thing though Martin, that link you posted, usefull, but I cant really read it properly, and I had a few issues with the shims, as in I took them off and couldnt remember how to get the bloody things back on. Anywhere I can get hold of some clearer destructions..:confused:

Also what is the exact point of those shims, I couldnt really tell to be honest, just curious ?

suprarob
27th June 2006, 10:44 AM
Ash

with Martins link if you click on the page you want it makes it bigger

the shims (if you use copper grease on them) are to stop your brakes from squealing :- anti squeal shim

Suprash
27th June 2006, 10:59 AM
Doh, Im obviously getting confused on what bits are called what.....your on about the metal plate that sits behind the break pad arent you......?

Firstly mate I have been clicking on each page to make it bigger but it still doesnt load big enough to see things clearly or read it, and I have tried on several different comps now, increasing text size, cant really find anything to try and adjust it to read it.....

Right the bits Im on about that I had trouble fitting back on are some little metal clips that clipped on around the bolt holes that the caliper is held on by ??

suprarob
27th June 2006, 11:13 AM
Firstly mate I have been clicking on each page to make it bigger but it still doesnt load big enough to see things clearly or read it, and I have tried on several different comps now, increasing text size, cant really find anything to try and adjust it to read it.....

I,ve got no problem with seeing these pages ?

you need bigger glasses its obviously your age :laugh:

suprarob
27th June 2006, 11:16 AM
:D

These are spacers they go between the two shims, I think (thats how i have always fitted them any way )

Suprash
27th June 2006, 11:28 AM
:D

These are spacers they go between the two shims, I think (thats how i have always fitted them any way )

Yeah thats the furkers, looks like Im taking it all back off again now just to fit these, whats the consequences of not having them on :confused:

Also there was some larger looking ones, now Im sure they fit on the caliper itself, but cant see them in any of the diags, by the way I can now see the diags correctly, it seems you have to download them, open them up and for some reason then their big enough, if you just view the page online it never loads big enough, cack...... :D

suprarob
27th June 2006, 11:58 AM
Ash if buy saying larger ones you mean the cross shaped ones ?(Anti rattle spring on the diagram)

if you do they hook around the pins and push the pads down and hold them in position

As for the effects of not having these in I don,t really know I think the pads will rattle about though

Suprash
27th June 2006, 12:22 PM
Ash if buy saying larger ones you mean the cross shaped ones ?(Anti rattle spring on the diagram)

if you do they hook around the pins and push the pads down and hold them in position

As for the effects of not having these in I don,t really know I think the pads will rattle about though

No mate, your misunderstanding me, sorry :D, if you dont put the pad spacers in what are the consequences, the little L shapped clips that clip on the edge of the pad itself.

Then I also had some larger clips, that had a hole in them, but these are not shown anywhere on the diags ?

I have fitted the anti rattle spring and the anti squel shims, just to clear everything else up, lol..... ;)

baz
27th June 2006, 01:00 PM
the l shaped things are wear indicators........not worth using, just keep an eye on them a few 1000's down the line mate.

u could print the pages out??? i did.

baz

Suprash
27th June 2006, 02:06 PM
the l shaped things are wear indicators........not worth using, just keep an eye on them a few 1000's down the line mate.

u could print the pages out??? i did.

baz

Sweet that just saved me hours of labour, lol, what about the larger type clip that go over the caliper holes where the bolts locate through ? You know what Im on about ?

As I said it doesnt seem to appear in those instructions anywhere.......:coolpeek:

~Rob~
4th July 2006, 04:51 PM
Pics of the completed and painted set up please...:rolleyes2:

Suprash
4th July 2006, 07:36 PM
Pics of the completed and painted set up please...:rolleyes2:

lol, ok I need some new pics of the car as the 'loosers' england flag flying Supra avatar pic needs to come down....(shut up all you Welsh, I know you loved it)........

baz
5th July 2006, 10:42 AM
lol, ok I need some new pics of the car as the 'loosers' england flag flying Supra avatar pic needs to come down....(shut up all you Welsh, I know you loved it)........

hee hee see england comming home pic for more details:moon: