PDA

View Full Version : worrying lights

andyw3000
9th August 2006, 09:58 PM
driving on motorway a couple o nights ago, gave it some loud pedal (not too extreme) then suddenly the warning triangle on the dash came on and the orange light that looks like an engine block,, to the right of the steering wheel. eased off the gas and it went out, hasnt been on since, but why did this come on???? all levels fine,temp ok,oil fine etc etc,, no obvious reason... dont like lights comin on any ideas?

Martin F
9th August 2006, 10:09 PM
Well if your car was a TT then i'd say something like fuel cut, but that's not going to apply in your case.

First thing i'd do (despite seeing the engine warning light) is check your brake fluid, if its not topped right up to the max line (a mm over might be a good idea) then top it up.

Other than that then i think i'd be checking for fault codes.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/engine_codes/obd1_codes.html

andyw3000
10th August 2006, 12:42 PM
cheers martin, ill have a butchers knowing me and my rotten run of misfortune,it will be something terminal..... woe is me.. sorry had a crap day at work...

DEREHAMSUPRA
12th August 2006, 05:21 PM
probably find if you do a diagnostic it will come out as fault code 42, speedo/rev counter sensor, i`ve seen about four threads, all N/A`s with this problem. Mine does it as well, i`m having my speedo converted and a delimiter fitted soon so when this is done going to see if the problem disappears, if not will have to investigate further, unless someone else can shed a bit of light, but its done absolutely no harm to the car.

kamikaze
13th August 2006, 02:58 PM
I have got it as well so seems to be a common problem.

Just the overdrive light flashes sometimes(not anything else on my car by the way_

Annoying more than a problem....

Martin F
13th August 2006, 05:02 PM
If the overdrive light flashes at all and the car is a jap import then you can put money on the fact its a dodgy speedo converter.

kamikaze
13th August 2006, 05:07 PM
If the overdrive light flashes at all and the car is a jap import then you can put money on the fact its a dodgy speedo converter.

Strange thing is ive still got the J-spec 110mph clocks and the odo still reads in KM....

So maybe it is the sensor.

Martin F
13th August 2006, 05:11 PM
Yep could be the senor as well, but i'd defenitely be looking for a converter as well. At lot of importers do leave the odo clocking up in Kmh.

kamikaze
13th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Yep could be the senor as well, but i'd defenitely be looking for a converter as well. At lot of importers do leave the odo clocking up in Kmh.

So possibly my car could be de-restricted but with J-spec clocks and still in KM on the odo?

Never taken the car up to limiter yet so cant tell lol

andyw3000
15th August 2006, 02:39 PM
mine hasnt been de-limited yet or converted,ahem a slight technical hitch delayed me getting it done, however when i combed thru the engine bay looking at what martin first suggested, i noticed the power steering reservoir (top up thingy) cap wasnt on properly.it was just sitting on top if the bottle.. that light hasnt been on since.. not saying it was that but i hope thats all it was.. will get diagnostic when de-limiting in a couple o weeks hopefully....by the way the brake fluid was ok.. my o/d light has never flashed on/off either.... the thick plottens

Martin F
15th August 2006, 09:37 PM
The power steering fluid reservoir doesn't have any sensors on it. :confused:

andyw3000
16th August 2006, 12:47 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????????????????? off to the garage i go.....

kevo
3rd September 2006, 10:18 AM
I have been told that..Its wise to leave the odomiter reading in kilomiters.....As many people have experianced problems when converting it to miles........
However,Thay did`nt seem to have any problems with the speed and de-limiting side of things......??????
Kev.:argue:

Martin F
3rd September 2006, 10:27 AM
I have been told that..Its wise to leave the odomiter reading in kilomiters.....As many people have experianced problems when converting it to miles........incorrectly

As long as you follow the instructions on the Thor site for fitting a DSC (ie. fitting a converter properly) then you will have no problems converting the speedo and odo to miles.

Just make sure you take a note what the KM reading was when you did your conversion in case anybody has a few questions when you come to sell.