PDA

View Full Version : 350z TT Upgrade

UltraFlynn
20th September 2006, 10:29 PM
A mate of mine bought a brand new 350Z about 18 months ago and has been pretty happy with it. But he's always thought that it didn't have enough power. (I've driven this car as well and I would agree. It just doesn't pull as hard as my Supra and the delivery is very linear. I also thought the handling was a bit dodgy as well) So a few weeks ago he bit the bullet and sent it off to WRC Silverstone to have this twin-turbo kit fitted:

APS 350Z TT Conversion (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/350z.htm)

Here's some in depth details of what the kit comprises of (details of the ECU used is on page 3): Page 1 (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/modified_mag/350z_tech1.htm) Page 2 (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/modified_mag/350z_tech2.htm) Page 3 (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/modified_mag/350z_tech3.htm)

This is supposed to increase the output to around 410bhp.

These are the shots of the work in progress:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/marks-350z/350Z008Medium.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/marks-350z/350Z040Medium.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/marks-350z/350Z037Medium.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/marks-350z/350Z032Medium.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/marks-350z/350Z028Medium.jpg

The price for getting this conversion is £8,600.

I think he's going to be well happy once he gets his car back.

Martin F
20th September 2006, 10:42 PM
18 months old and never once cleaned the engine bay :p

I've read a bit about this conversion and it seems to be one of the more tried and tested ones, but did you remind him where your Supra would be if you spent that sort of money on it?

UltraFlynn
21st September 2006, 07:28 AM
He knows that if I spent the same budget on my car it would probably end up with 500+ bhp. If the funds where there to do the gearbox then that might go higher still.

andyw3000
21st September 2006, 11:11 AM
why didnt you convince him to trade in or sell the 350 and get a really good TT? for the cause like??

UltraFlynn
21st September 2006, 11:18 AM
Oh trust me. I did try. I took him out for a blast in my car and the crankshaft pulley exploded. That may well have put him off buying a 12 year old car. :)

andyw3000
21st September 2006, 11:47 AM
all i have to say is....DOH!!! never mind at least you tried.

headbanger
1st October 2006, 05:21 PM
Hiya

Hope you don't mind me posting in this site being a non Supra man. But that's my tin can my mate Flynn posted, and I Just thought I'd drop by.

I have got to say first off, I still think Supra's are the best but I have my (maybe stupid!) reasons for going the 350z way and eventually, a TT install.

Flynn : the loose flywheel didn't put me off mate, your car is in better looking nick than mine ( with a 10 year difference).... :brushteeth:

Cheers mate ... Be over soon as long as I don't "blow" :brushteeth:

UltraFlynn
2nd October 2006, 10:36 AM
Glad you're on board mate. Welcome.

When do WRC reckon the car will be ready for collection?

headbanger
2nd October 2006, 05:54 PM
Hopefully tomorrow night. They had a hitch with the new manifold, I don't know the exact details but it looks like APS sent one that has the gubbings in it ready for going forged internals and WRC had to spend some extra time on it.. I'm now starting to think I might run it for a year (if it don't blow!) then go the forged internals route.

Cheers matey

UltraFlynn
2nd October 2006, 08:17 PM
You should run it for a year, sell it for loads of money and get yourself a 600bhp Supra mate. You know it makes sense. :)

Once you get it back I'll have to pop down for a test drive.

headbanger
10th October 2006, 07:37 PM
You should run it for a year, sell it for loads of money and get yourself a 600bhp Supra mate. You know it makes sense. :)

Once you get it back I'll have to pop down for a test drive.

Mmm.. still waiting.. now there's a fuel leak.. hope WRC can get it fixed :doh:

headbanger
10th October 2006, 08:03 PM
ooh I did drive it for about 10 minutes before we found the leak.. Awesome, compared to the NA.. Trouble was it p*ss*ng it down and the roads were pretty wet + the stock Bridgestones are their most crappiest in those conditions. Mind you in one way it was nice feeling wheelspin in 4th !

I have been hearing/told on the 350z forums that there's no way my car will have 400/400 and I've been reading a bit on how bhp/torque is measured and the different types of rolling roads + things like tyre pressures can affect readings etc etc etc + hearing that BHP in the US is generally higher than in the UK. Basically tuners can make the dyno charts say whatever they want. To be quite honest they are nice to have but the bottom line is how the car drives and feels to me so I'm not too sure how much salt to take with these but they do look nice (especially the torque curve which is what really matters) so here are my dynos anyway (Mind you, I do tend to believe Chris at WRC, the guy that mapped the car. You can read about him here
http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/profile.htm .. .just hope they get my fuel pump fixed.

Cheers

Martin F
10th October 2006, 08:11 PM
Just under 6psi at 3500rpm that's pretty decent. :)

Suspect that the nice torque figure has a lot to do with how torquey (is that a word?) is to start with.

Looks like it will make for a very drivable car.

UltraFlynn
10th October 2006, 08:15 PM
Mmm.. still waiting.. now there's a fuel leak.. hope WRC can get it fixed :doh:

You're joking. This isn't costing you any more is it?

On the bright side mate, at least they are testing their work thoroughly and fixing all the problems.

The car will be awesome once it's finished mate. As long as you don't cane the hell out of it I reckon the engine will go on and on.

UltraFlynn
10th October 2006, 08:20 PM
Trouble was it p*ss*ng it down and the roads were pretty wet + the stock Bridgestones are their most crappiest in those conditions. Mind you in one way it was nice feeling wheelspin in 4th !

Time to start saving for RaceLogic Traction Control mate! :)

UltraFlynn
10th October 2006, 08:20 PM
Have they taken any more pictures on the work they have done? Would love to see some more.

supra-lover
10th October 2006, 08:23 PM
ideal way to blow his engine to bits haha

Martin F
10th October 2006, 08:32 PM
ideal way to blow his engine to bits haha

Eh?

TBH.....its not that unusual for a fuel leak to only reveal itself once things are on the road as things will become under most stress once out on the road. Dyno tuning is only a partial simulation of the real world.

You could say they should have road tested it, but on the other hand some people may moan that they've been driving a customers car about, and so on, and so on.

:)

andyw3000
10th October 2006, 09:05 PM
Just under 6psi at 3500rpm that's pretty decent. :)

a lot to do with how torquey (is that a word?)

its a place where faulty towas was made/based innit??

Martin F
10th October 2006, 09:13 PM
Lol :D

headbanger
10th October 2006, 10:14 PM
Have they taken any more pictures on the work they have done? Would love to see some more.

No more piccies mate, sorry .

Also, this isn't costing me any more dosh, WRC have been pretty up front in keeping me informed about all the goings on and I don't think they'll let me go off in a potential fireball (I hope!). The joys of modding eh!

Cheers

Note to self : do not smoke in the car :rolleyes2:

headbanger
12th October 2006, 07:18 PM
Hiya Flynn

Last update is WRCT have stripped and reassembled the APS fuel system and now only have a small weep. What they did while it was apart I do not know and probably will not understand.. guess they want to keep that a secret + they are pretty busy there so that's the reason for the delay ... better safe than sorry ...

Hopefully tomorrow is pickup day

Cheers

P.S. What are you up to on the 10th Nov ? Ray/Andy are planning a beer in the smoke.

UltraFlynn
12th October 2006, 08:21 PM
I hope that before you collect the car that "small weep" turns into "no weep". I'd want that fix mate. You don't want to drive about with petrol p!ssing out of the car!

Drive carefully tomorrow. :)

p.s. Will check diary regarding the 10th.

headbanger
13th October 2006, 07:36 PM
Hiya mate

There's still a small weep. From what I understand the kit turns the fuel system from a non return to a return system so I guess the tank gets pressurized ( i.e 4 bar pressure).The leak is now only apparent under hard acceleration with a brimming tank (i.e. you get 3-4 drops as soon as you switch off which then stops.. so, sounds like an expansion contraction thing. no leak from the seal as far as I understand) I've got no idea if those pressures should cause any problems but the bottom line is WRCT are taking the tank out and will be pressure testing it and either fixing it or replacing it with a new tank at no extra cost if it's not fixable + Allan from WRCT just rang me to apologize for the delay and to upgrade the loaner car from a Yaris :mad: to a Saab.. All I can say is the overall service is excellent although the delay is frustrating.

Cheers and hope to see you on the 10th

UltraFlynn
14th October 2006, 08:10 AM
I'm glad they are taking steps to completely rectify the problem mate.

Keep us posted.

headbanger
19th October 2006, 06:16 PM
Apparently it turned out that the bolts APS supply witht the kit are a fraction longer than the stock ones. As far as I understand these were pushing slightly against another component in the tank creating a miniscule gap for the fuel to drip through. Today the tank(fixed)/driveshaft/exhaust went back on and Allan at WRCT is as we speak filling her up to the brim to test that there's no leak. So .... hopefully ... tomorrow ...

Cheers

headbanger
23rd October 2006, 06:33 PM
Wehey

Finally picked her up Saturday

It feels about 10 times better than the stock one (which was pretty sluggish). Tons of torque from the word go and no lag whatsoever. Definitely need to look at new rubber/suspension and a decent traction control system as the old wheels spin merrily in 2nd, 3rd and fourth sometimes if I mash the pedal a bit too much. Mind you the weathers been a bit cr*p lately so that won't help.

Only thing is it pongs a bit in the cabin (due to the leak + I reckon the mechanic who is pretty overworked had slept in it :twisted: ) hopefully that'll go with time and a good valet.

Still, I reckon they've done a good job.

Cheers

UltraFlynn
23rd October 2006, 07:26 PM
That's great news mate. Take it easy with all that power though fella. Be a real shame to wrap it round a tree. :(

I could suggest a range of products to get rid of that pongy cabin.....