PDA

View Full Version : hatch rubber menace

andyw3000
3rd October 2006, 01:12 PM
i looked in the search tool for info how to get at these i can see how to get to the obvious ones but does anyone know how to get at the ones underneath...?? i may be missing something so forgive me as im not testically minded. is it hard or easy to replace?? my knocking is drivin me mad now.. all my suspension bushes anti roll bars etc have been given the all clear, so it MUST be these blighters.. cheers

Barney
3rd October 2006, 01:51 PM
Here you go Andy;

Hatch rubber stopper: 67293-14051 £4.18 each

Hatch rubber stopper screws 2 each: 90159-50116 £0.38p each

I quote...

"If you do remove the old ones, BEWARE. The factory puts blue Loctite on the screws (they are Phillips pan heads) so you need to make sure you get a square insertion in the screw head. I found out the hard way, I had to drill the head off one screw and EZ out the rest of the screw. Not a task for the faint of heart".

andyw3000
3rd October 2006, 02:19 PM
cheers for that barney, i will get onto mr T asap,, i pity the fool if he doesnt have any..... just one thing how do i get to the rubbers?? thats really my main stickin point. i dont know where to start... (im not bad at dismantling and reassembling things ie door/boot panels and the like.. ) again cheers

Martin F
3rd October 2006, 02:25 PM
Errr lift the hatch look at the sides where the hatch and bodywork would normally meet and you will see them. About 2 inches up from the very rear of the car.

andyw3000
3rd October 2006, 02:27 PM
i know it sounds daft but is there not any underneath those?? stop laughing..its not my fault work is stressfull.

andyw3000
3rd October 2006, 02:46 PM
right.... ive investigated further and i think i know what you mean martin/barney.. my mistake.. tip of the day..always read advice/tech articles etc, PROPERLY thank you please.. im getting my spanners oot.

supra dave
4th October 2006, 10:29 PM
just a little hint that always works with me, when i get mine out... this for me has applied to most stuburn nuts and bolts.... try and crack them by doing thm up first.

thats what me puppa bear always told me . and it works most times!! lol
good luck

Dave

Martin F
4th October 2006, 10:42 PM
Thats a good idea for nuts and bolts that may have some corrosion on them.

Unfortunately it won't help on these as they have threadlock on them. Only way to make the job easier is to heat them up first.

supra dave
4th October 2006, 10:51 PM
ok martin.. il remember that, and ill tell me dad lol

Cuthbert
5th October 2006, 03:50 PM
How do you heat them up without setting fire to the boot?
I've replaced one so far, just one screw on the other side is a bit stubborn, I just used brute force.

Martin F
5th October 2006, 07:11 PM
Carefully !!!

You can either use a blowtorch, but if you are accident prone not a good idea, or you need to find a gas powered soldering iron or one of them old 1000W gun jobs.

supra dave
6th October 2006, 03:11 PM
what about one of those chef blow chorch things the dinky enough ont you think??

and only about a tenner last time i bought one for fun..

supra dave
6th October 2006, 03:14 PM
personally i would drill the bugger though... but i was lucky enugh to let my sprayer do it....

he did hes car the following month which also happens to be a supra. and those shuts on the inside, are the only place on the car that sint sprayed. because he remembered how much of a dog they were to get out of mine.

so i can only imagine and have simpathy for you all... but good luck

~Rob~
6th October 2006, 07:13 PM
mine were a breeze with a blow torch, a bit of heat on and off so as not to scorch the paintwork. the didnt need much.

Martin F
6th October 2006, 09:43 PM
what about one of those chef blow chorch things the dinky enough ont you think??

Yep, good idea and probably be ideal.

andyw3000
6th October 2006, 09:55 PM
and....once your rubbers is sorted you can make the wife a lovely creme meringue type thing.....

~Rob~
7th October 2006, 09:03 AM
or a souffle..:)

you could try cutting the rubber off so the screw is protruding from the bodywork, the you can get to it easily with the heat..

andyw3000
7th October 2006, 02:32 PM
its not easy is it??

Rayman
7th October 2006, 02:45 PM
I just did this today on mine funny enough, well removed the old ones, got some new lowers rubbers coming.
I just sawed the old rubbers in the centre then ripped them off they where that old.
Then hot hair drier onto the screws and loosen them with phillips screw driver.

andyw3000
7th October 2006, 02:49 PM
let me know if it stops the rattling......the rattling....always the rattling.... aaaaarrrggghhhhhh..............er...........yes cheers

Rayman
7th October 2006, 02:53 PM
It does for sure, its a well known fault but once you renew them, silence............. ahhh!

Cuthbert
7th October 2006, 03:50 PM
Mine's stopped rattling now with just one new one & none on the other side.

Rayman
7th October 2006, 04:57 PM
Lol just been out in mine now for first time since i got shut of the old rubbers and its stopped ratling even tho i havnt fitted the new rubbers yet? How weird is that!:moon:

andyw3000
7th October 2006, 06:42 PM
thats very weird.... why would this happen??

Rayman
7th October 2006, 07:24 PM
Dunno but i think its probably because the upper rubbers now do not touch the lowers because they aint there, so the boot just rests on the gasket thats all round and doesnt rattle, but will need to fit new rubbers to make it permanent!

andyw3000
7th October 2006, 07:34 PM
keep me informed,, im totally baffled now.............. fiendish japaneses

Rayman
7th October 2006, 07:38 PM
Just get stuck in, get some rubbers ordered and get em off!

andyw3000
7th October 2006, 07:41 PM
once i get me arrrse in gear i will do it.... hahahaha,,

Rayman
7th October 2006, 08:04 PM
iye, i got em coming of a women on ebay, if you do a search there is some on auction, managed to get a pair for 13squids all in!

~Rob~
7th October 2006, 10:13 PM
there only about 13 quid anyways from Mr T, upper and lower.. get em done!

andyw3000
23rd November 2006, 10:53 PM
im at mr-t shop tommorrow.. gettin me rubbers.... i take it they are a standard size/fit on all imports and non imports.. etc.... knowing my luck they wont be.......ill see you all on the other side of this stressful time of changin them.. may have to lie down...(already tried to get one off... wasnt havin it like... will try all methods on these pages, before losing my heed and smashing everything that moves...) except me baby of course..

andyw3000
25th November 2006, 10:08 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .!!!!!!!! Why Wont They Come Off???????????

Martin F
25th November 2006, 11:36 PM
Because you haven't heated them for long enough

:tongue2:

andyw3000
27th November 2006, 06:36 PM
ahem..... whos the daddy now????? silencio....aaaaah