PDA

View Full Version : Box under seat

Cass
16th October 2006, 08:40 AM
This may be a silly question but what is the electronic box under the passenger seat it is around the same size as the ecu :confused:

UltraFlynn
16th October 2006, 09:02 AM
It's an amplifier mate.

Cass
16th October 2006, 11:21 AM
Ooooh interesting tell me more,i like it when ive a new toy to play with how can i use it or is it a fixed setting type thing.:rolleyes2:

UltraFlynn
16th October 2006, 11:34 AM
Well I have a big one under the passenger seat because I've got the standard subwoofer in the boot. I believe that if you don't have the subwoofer then the amplifier is a bit smaller.

Cass
16th October 2006, 11:37 AM
Cheers buddy i'll need to have a play about and see what i can get up to.:rolleyes2:

UltraFlynn
16th October 2006, 11:43 AM
I've only got one working speaker at the moment which rather detracts from the listening experience. :)

Cass
16th October 2006, 11:47 AM
Next question under the drivers seat iv'e a large wire with 2 conections (1) is connected and the other is taped up can you shed any light what should be connected to that?????????

UltraFlynn
16th October 2006, 12:03 PM
Have you got a stock subwoofer?

Because if not then I'd guess that the extra connector is for the amplifier which would drive the subwoofer. The loom is probably the same.

Cass
16th October 2006, 03:33 PM
Na nae subs in her think you are right though.Do you have a pic of your stock subs where are they located? I think this thread should stop now as its getting a little on the ice side lol

UltraFlynn
16th October 2006, 03:40 PM
You can't miss the standard sub in the boot mate. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

This is a picture of the inside of my boot during some work which Martin did, the subwoofer is in the top-right.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/supra/interior/200601008003Medium.jpg

Cass
16th October 2006, 03:44 PM
Oh aye seen lol:coolpeek: Cheers

flyingbrick
19th May 2007, 01:11 AM
ok..im RHD.... under the passenger seat is a huge box... the stock amp.

Under the drivers seat is a smaller box kinda strapped in. Its wiring looks stock but not... and it has an ariel which is all rolled up and ziptied.

the little box was strapped to the carpet...but its confusing me because it all looks standard rather than aftermarket... and i assume its the stock alarm?

Any harm in its removal if i have an aftermarket alarm and dont use the stock one?

dunk shaw
19th May 2007, 04:44 AM
ok..im RHD.... under the passenger seat is a huge box... the stock amp.

Under the drivers seat is a smaller box kinda strapped in. Its wiring looks stock but not... and it has an ariel which is all rolled up and ziptied.

the little box was strapped to the carpet...but its confusing me because it all looks standard rather than aftermarket... and i assume its the stock alarm?

Any harm in its removal if i have an aftermarket alarm and dont use the stock one?

mine was removed from my uk car with no probs, as long as its done properly you shouldnt have any dramas

Gambit
19th May 2007, 08:26 AM
Cass, do you have the stock radio/cd player?

If not you will probably find that the stock amp under the passenger seat has been made redundant i.e. not doing anything as it's not a lot of cop. It's only there to help the stock speakers which are also not a lot of cop, 15 watt if I remember rightly.

I blew the foam out of the side of my front speakers within 3 weeks of installing an Alpine head unit.
Normally what happens is when you fit aftermarket stereo the wiring bypasses the amp which renders the sub in the boot scrap.
If I can find a boot carpet in A1 condition without the cut-out for the sub it will go in and the sub will be removed.
No real point in removing the amp from under the seat, just leave it be.