MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Engine Tuning
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Engine Tuning All technical chat regarding the 2JZ

Old 22nd June 2004, 12:45 PM   #1
V
Club Administrator

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

Noticed yesterday after driving for a few minutes a, what i can only explain as a crunching sort of noise (leaves / crisp packet) when i was pulling over 4k. More noticeable at 5k, but i didn?t really go any higher, not wanting to break it. Sounded to coincide with the no2. Though.
When I lifted off it went away. was rev related rather than speed related. I did this in 3rd or 2nd.
Done this about 2-3 times after just to check, pulled over and had a naive look under the bonnet, saw nothing unusual, rev?d it a bit, all seemed ok. drove on my way and touch wood, it?s been alright.

Any idea at all what this could be.
Am i looking a new T's?

On this side, since I?ve had my car from October last year, covered about 3-4k miles I?ve had 4 puffs of smoke (pretty sure not condensation) after about 30ish seconds after start up. Just as I back it our of my drive. Not much, and it only last for a second.

I?m running Mobile One ? not my choice

Its year 2000 and done 35k miles.

Can you test the turbos (pressure i assume)

Many thanks again
Stephen V
Old 22nd June 2004, 02:55 PM   #2
alex h
Old Timer

You really need to take it to someone who can diagnose it. Though have a good scout for rubbish in the engine bay incase it's interfering. Could well be turbo baring failure.

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 04:54 PM   #3
V
Club Administrator

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

Hmmm. in blunt terms new turbo(s)???

Do you know of any good garages in the Suffolk area?
Its still under warranty - one of those floating ones where the work can get done at any garage.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 22nd June 2004, 05:31 PM   #4
alex h
Old Timer

You could bring it to Norfolk and have the local crew take a look. You could do a lot worse. We're all based in the Norwich area but we will be nr. the suffolk border on Saturday for a BBQ...PM me if you're interested.

Alex H
Old 22nd June 2004, 07:09 PM   #5
Chris Wilson
Non-Approved Trader

I would say it's most unlikely to be turbo related, but dsgnosing noises by e-mail is, as you can appreciate, somewhat hit and miss

Have a good look around the cooling fan for loose bottom cowl duct, or frayed drive belt.
Chris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 09:26 PM   #6
alex h
Old Timer

Does it do it off load? ie if someone revs it to 5000rpm whilst stationary and you stick your head under the bonnet?

Alex H
Old 23rd June 2004, 07:53 AM   #7
V
Club Administrator

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

Cheers guys.

Chris,
I'll have another look around the cooling fan and a good look every where for that matter.

It DID, (noting it doesnt do it now though), only do it past 4-4.5k mark and got louder the fast i went.
I cant remember unfortunatley if it did it under load, but i dont think it did whilst foot on the clutch/out of gear.

When i pulled over and looked under the bonnet, i gave it a good reving (it really hurt my ears, bloody bov) and it all sounded normal.

I think i'm quite an aware driver for things going on and didnt see any rubbish floating about.

This happened after i was lucky enough to get a free days racing down at Brands. It happened when leaving on the main road, half way down towards the M25. afetr i had a look under the bonnet i drove it carefully with minimum revs...... until i got a fair distance home, about another 1hours drive, and then started reving higher/harder with no bad noises.

Now 2 days later still no dodgy noises.

Alex, i'll PM - Bar B Q you say

All replies are very greatly received.
Regards
Stephen V

PS. Chris, i will need some extra bits putting on my car, Do you prefer e-mail or phone to start things off?
Old 23rd June 2004, 07:59 AM   #8
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

May be worth having a look for loose exhaust heat shields. I've noticed that any exhaust issues seem to rear their ugly heads after high speed driving for sustained periods, ie. your track day.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:00 PM   #9
V
Club Administrator

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

I'll have a scrabble around everywhere i think, although it definitely sounded like it came from the front, and more like a rubbing noise rather than a rattle.

Oh, i didnt race mine. it was one of those try loads of things things. Single seater, Rally, Caterham etc.

Regards
Stephen V
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:12 PM   #10
V
Club Administrator

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

Alex,

just read your 'other' post

Cheers
Stephen V