MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Resources > How to..........
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 28th March 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual
Default Remove The OEM Front Bumper.

First of all we need to remove the wheels to allow us to get to the arch linings. Therefore we need to jack the car up. Please see this thread for jacking points on a Supra:
Recommended Jacking Points.
Once the car is jacked up and the front wheels are removed, we should be ready to remove the arch lining. Here’s a picture of the tools I used to remove the bumper (note 10mm and 12mm sockets and 5mm allen head):

There are 11 bolts/screws to remove from either side of the car inorder to remove the arch lining. These are here: (there are 3 on the bumper/arch lip, only one can be seen in bottom right of this picture):

Now for the two screws that hold the bottom of the bumper on:

You should have the following number of screws:

You simply need to pull the plastic lining off, it’s a little fiddly but it’ll come with abit of persistence.
Next we need to remove the head lights. Please see this thread on how to do this:
Removing the OEM Airbox and Headlights
Old 29th March 2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual

We need to remove the rubber strip which the end of the bonnet sits on. To do this we use some long nose pliers and squeeze the plastic sides in whilst lifting gently:

You can see here what it looks like once removed to give you a better idea on what you’re dealing with:

You should now looking at 5 black plastic screws. These don’t tend to unscrew by themselves, and need a helping hand. I used a small flat headed screwdriver to raise the screw whilst undoing the screw with a philips screwdriver:

This gives you an idea of what you’re up against:

This is what will most likely happen to the screws:

Which is why I would recommend gettting 5 replacement ones beforehand:

The last picture also shows the top and bottom strips that are located on the bumper mouth. These need to be removed the same way, though I did find all of my ones came out without ruining the head of the screw.
The top strip has 5 screws:

The bottom strip has 3 screws:

We now need to disconnect the indicators, either by the connector, are removing the bulb from the holder (best to put the bulb in a safe place so it doesn’t get damaged):
Old 29th March 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual

If you have headlight washers, now is the time to disconnect the pipes from each other. Very little if any washer fluid will come out:

As you can see, I simply moved the metal retaining clip back a little and pulled the pipes apart.
Now that’s done, we need to remove the 2 nuts that are holding the side of the bumper to the wing.
The first one can clearly be seen now that the light has been removed:

The other nut is tucked under the remaining arch lining, and is easily accessable by simply holding the plastic arch lining out a little.

This gives you an indication of where the two nuts and bolts are:

All you need to do now is pull the sides of the bumper out to allow the bolts to come through the holes, and move the bumper away from the car.
Just reverse the bumper when refitting it.
If you have any questions please feel free to post up in the General Supra Chat