PDA

View Full Version : New crankshaft damper

Martin F
3rd December 2003, 03:05 PM
Just noticed this on the PHR website and looks like the first aftermarket crankshaft damper that has been designed for function rather than fashion.

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/catalog/supratt/ati.jpg

Finally an alternative to the factory Toyota crankshaft dampener offering increased RPM capability and specific tuning to reduce high RPM harmonics. Vibration and harmonics at higher RPM ranges can destroy engine bearings and reduce the life of the engine tenfold! The ATI dampener is able to control crankshaft distortion and vibration in excess of 10,000 RPM and at 1,200+ horsepower levels. Plus, the unit is fully NHRA compliant and SFI approved for all cars running faster than 10.99. The kit includes a custom manufactured billet crankshaft hub adapter, mounting hardware, and the patented ATI dampener. A must have for any street/track Supra! ?Price: ?$505.00

Nathan
3rd December 2003, 03:23 PM
Nice. I'm just wondering what the actual advantage is of it though. Better balanced? I've never heard of a standard one falling apart at high rpm (unless you cook it after trying to fry the pully bolt to get it off). Don't know why or how you could 'specifically tune it' to reduce high rpm harmonics either. That would suggest that the crank itself was out of balance to start with.

It might just be that the stock damper is balanced to a lesser tolerance. Would like to put both on a balancer to see. If anyone buys one I might be interested in carrying out the necessary.

Either way, certainly better than those completely useless blue anodised ones.