PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel / gearbox rattles

chiefgroover
29th February 2004, 11:42 PM
I have noise from either the gearbox of flywheel. It only happens at low speeds, moving off, or reversing. This is a fairly loud mechanical rattle. Any idea's?

Martin F
1st March 2004, 09:09 AM
Is yours a manual car ? How many miles ?

chiefgroover
2nd March 2004, 12:05 AM
Manual 31,000 genuine. UK Spec

Martin F
2nd March 2004, 12:20 AM
Damn sounds like you have a desireable car there UK6 with 31k !!!

Are you sure its from the gearbox area ? Reason i ask is that the flywheel is a dual mass type and is known to rattle a bit as it gets older, but this is not really until 60k + miles.

Nathan
2nd March 2004, 09:03 AM
One of the loudest rattles is the input shaft in the gearbox, so that might be what you are hearing. Very normal in most cases. If you're local to Essex I am happy to have a listen myself and give my opinion. Are you confident that the mileage is right? We had an owner here last year who was absolutley adament that his mileage was right (39K on UK spec) after a little delving it was actually 139K...

Shows how well the cars stand up though- it certianly LOOKED like a 39K car!

Sharpie
2nd March 2004, 05:30 PM
Quote[/b] (Nathan @ Mar. 02 2004,09:03)]after a little delving it was actually 139K...
I bet he wasn't happy http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Nathan
2nd March 2004, 05:50 PM
Oddly enough he wasn't too fussed:O I think he liked the car so much that he just shrugged it off....and if we hadn't of informed him he would unlikely of ever of found out as the car was that nice.

It had actually had a new speedo fitted...he hadn't seen that the service history details weren't adding up...

chiefgroover
2nd March 2004, 09:37 PM
Hi
Thanks for the offer Nathan, but i am a long way from Essex.
A neighbour of mine bought it new in 94, paid about ?42.500 for it. He is in his 60's and never had the car over about 80mph. I got it with a genuine 27,000 miles, with service history done on mileage instead of time which meant I had to have the engine stripped and all the black death scrapped out or it would have clogged up on the first hard run. Second turbo was shiny as new inside, dont think it has ever been used. Mileage is definately fine I dont think he ever went more than 15 miles from home in it. I also know of one that has 40,000 on it, with unblemished paintwork, and never been out in the wet or winter!, finer example than mine ! I also had to free up the rear brakes (pins nearly ceased in the calipers), fit new pads as they were glazed (Apexi A400 my all time favoutire pad), and the carbon took about 3 weeks to clear from the exhaust which since has become a S.Dragger, the ultimate tone. I am gonna stick a flywheel in for good measure, as it shudders a little too. Just a pity the box remove and refit is an awful job (comapared to a MK2 RS200 anyway lol). Hope Nathan gets his car back, I will question all white ones I see.

chiefgroover
2nd March 2004, 09:41 PM
Martin
I think my flywheel has maybe had too many standing starts ! and aged a little quickly. I have ordered a new one so here is hoping.

EmmaG
2nd March 2004, 09:52 PM
Hi Ernie,

Sounds like you have a very nice car there. Have you got any pics of the car to post up on the gallery?

I would be interested to know if the new flywheel does the trick.

Regards
Emma

chiefgroover
2nd March 2004, 09:56 PM
I have Emma, will do shortly!

Nathan
3rd March 2004, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Yes, deffo sounds like you have a genuine car there maybe you are just unlucky with the flywheel. Good job you were aware of the oil sludge issue- far too many people think they are getting a bargain when buying low mileage or 'little used' cars and end up with an engine in far worse condition than one with many more miles that has been looked after. Fleet cars are a prime example- galactic mileages but strip the engines down and they look mint. Shame that the rest of the car looks like it's been dragged through Beirut.

Removing boxes on Mk4's isn't too traumatic to be honest- I can think of a lot worse. Bear in mind the weight though and get plenty of hands to help or preferably a proper ramp with a hydraulic gearbox stand which is what we use and then it's a one-man job. Just remember that then only problems people get are the ones that don't realise the Mk4 uses a pull-type clutch - it's the No1 reason why drive plates get bent and all of a sudden it's the clutches fault...

Good luck

Nathan
P.S. I didn't own the Soop when it got stolen- I had already sold it.

Dustmite
16th May 2004, 03:17 PM
Quote[/b] (Nathan @ Mar. 02 2004,09:03)]One of the loudest rattles is the input shaft in the gearbox, so that might be what you are hearing. Very normal in most cases. If you're local to Essex I am happy to have a listen myself and give my opinion. Are you confident that the mileage is right? We had an owner here last year who was absolutley adament that his mileage was right (39K on UK spec) after a little delving it was actually 139K...

Shows how well the cars stand up though- it certianly LOOKED like a 39K car!
I've been told the infeed shaft is causing the rattle on my car (95 NA jap) and it is getting louder all the time! I find that a way of stopping this rattle is to slightly depress the clutch pedal, but this won't be doing the clutch any good. Is it an easy job to cure this annoying rattle or do i just have to live with it? http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cry.gif