PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust for the sz?

4th March 2004, 06:21 PM
hi everyone,im new to owning a supra and am already lost!lol i want to get an exhaust for my 1993 supra sz but dont know which ones are available for my car and which one is best.i want one thats quite loud but doesnt make you deaf on the motorway.any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/help.gif

Martin F
4th March 2004, 08:35 PM
Hi and Welcome

Personally i would recommend the Blitz TT Realise, as i've had a Blitz Nur spec on my car and the construction and materials is top notch. I know they do a TT realise for the NA, not sure if the Nur spec is available for the NA.

Well thats my opinion i'm sure you will get a few more.

alex h
4th March 2004, 09:14 PM
The HKS Hiper for the NA is VERY loud - if that's your thing.

4th March 2004, 09:38 PM
thanks guys,i think the hks hiper is probably wot i'll go for.just wondered if there were any other options.does anyone have a hks hiper fitted to theirs and could comment on wot its like? also,a bit of topic but does anyone know wot the difference between an sz and an sz-r is? thanks again http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Martin F
4th March 2004, 10:29 PM
I think the SZ-R is supposed to be a more sporting version of the SZ. It tends to be a six speed car. I actually thought it was lighther than the SZ, but having just checked some specs it appears not.

It also has no powered front seat and a LSD as standard.

Nathan
5th March 2004, 09:41 AM
The original HKS Hiper Muffler is no longer available, and I would guess that the main reason why people have considered them REALLY loud on the NA is because most people used to fit the TT version which uses less baffling.

There is now an NA-specific 'Silent Hi-Power' which is basically the same as the old Hiper except they are now fully stainless. Alternatively, if you DO want a bit of noise then theres noting stopping you fitting the TT Silent Hi-Power anyway. Both retail at ?485 excluding VAT and are available immediately.

6th March 2004, 06:06 PM
could i fit any exhaust meant for the tt to my sz?a guy told me that if you do that it messes up your car.something to do with coz a turbo car wants to get rid of back pressure but a na car needs a little bit to run well.he told me that fitting an exhaust meant for the tt would decrease my power,be really bad on petrol and generaly run bad.does this sound right? http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Martin F
6th March 2004, 06:26 PM
Well the guy that gave you that advice is partially correct.

With an NA back pressure and runner lengths are more important than with a turbo car, that wants things as free flowing as possible. With an NA car you need to try and tune the manifold runner lengths so that exhaust pulses are collected out of phase to each other which will encourage scavenging from the cylinders.

However, i really think that by the time you get to the cat back section of the exhaust that things are not quite so important. So in reality i think that you will find very little loss by fitting say a 3inch cat back exhaust over a 2.5inch one. But i'm happy to be corrected by those more experienced.

6th March 2004, 06:53 PM
thats good enough or me!!titanium!give me titanium!!lol thanks for the advice,its helped alot!! http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/buttrock.gif

Syed Shah
6th March 2004, 11:54 PM
Don't go more than 2.5" unless your prepared for a power loss. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

alex h
7th March 2004, 02:30 AM
How much powerloss Syed? Got a chart to prove it?

Syed Shah
7th March 2004, 03:29 PM
No, just what has been reported by US Supra owners.

A large torque loss, and no change in topend. Stick with the NA exhausts unless all you want is noise.

BTW, what are you driving these days?

allymcmurdo
7th March 2004, 04:52 PM
I ve been runnig a Hiper on my NA for to years and am extremely happy with it.However it is VERY loud and has set off car alarms on more than few occasions,if thats what your after.It certainly turns heads. Its not too bad on the motorway either, if your cruising with a light foot.

7th March 2004, 11:58 PM
is yours meant for the turbo version?did you get any power loss?or loose fuel consumption? http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

allymcmurdo
8th March 2004, 12:09 PM
As far as I know its for the NA. I bought it from TDI and specified my car was a non turbo so i presume its the NA ?exhaust. Ive not had the car dyno'd but there no noticeable power gain or loss really and the fuel comsumption wasnt affected.

8th March 2004, 12:54 PM
i would get a hiper but ive phoned a few places and they said its been discontinued,they said they do a silent hiper now but i dont want one of those.i had a silent hiper on my 200sx and it was way way too quiet.you couldnt hear it at idle,and it had a sort of bass line till 3000rpm then it went away.so i dont want another one of them if i can help it.:)

allymcmurdo
8th March 2004, 05:14 PM
Whats the point in a silent Hiper? Its always been renowned for being extremely loud and OTT.I dont really know what to suggest. Have you looked at the Apexi N1? Its very similar in constuction to the old Hiper and similarly priced to.And theres a titaninum Version for around ?150 extra

9th March 2004, 08:04 PM
thats the problem i got.no one seems to know of any exhausts that are meant for the na apart from the old hiper which is discontinued and the silent hiper which aint wot im after.if i can find someone who's got an exhaust on their na thats meant 4 a turbo and it hasn't caused grief then im saved coz theirs hundreds of exhausts for the tt http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Martin F
9th March 2004, 09:02 PM
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Mar. 04 2004,20:35)]Personally i would recommend the Blitz TT Realise,
http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Despite its name this is for the NA car, also i'm pretty confident the Nur spec will fit as well.

EmmaG
9th March 2004, 10:35 PM
If there is a titanium exhaust available for the NA I think I would be very tempted if I was you. I bet it would sound great on a NA.

chiefgroover
9th March 2004, 10:58 PM
There is only one exhaust, the HKS Super Dragger, its the sweetest sounding exhaust with an excellent power gain. Magic Music to my ears. ( If it fits the N/A car ?)However i once bought a HKS Hyper exhaust (for a N/A Cleica GT)and the niose gave me a sore head and embarressed me, I had to remove it after 1 week, the supplier (Tdi) argued with me it was legal noise wise. The cops pulled me on the 5 th day, measured it and threatened to do me unless it was removed right away. I go ?50 for it to a dude who had never heard one.

Nathan
10th March 2004, 09:07 AM
Interesting.....I hope we didn't 'argue' with you as such and instead just offered our opinion on that it should be legal....

Was the Celica exhaust standard in every other way? IE did it still have the original cat? Do you know what the decibel reading was? I've never heard of a Hiper on any car being offensive unles cat/s have been removed. I certianly apologise if you felt we were 'arguing' with you. Any idea when this was?

allymcmurdo: I am not aware of us ever keeping an N/A specific JZA exhaust here but that doesn't rule out that we have never sold one- do you know when you bought yours (or even better, an invoice) and I might be able to confirm. Thanks.

The only exhausts available from HKS specifically for the N/A now are the silent hipower and the 'legal' which is mostly a mild stee system with a stainless rear can and tailipipe. The styling is also it bit more 'subdued'.

You can of course still fit the silent hipower for the turbo version which will certainly be louder, and the turbo Drager will fit as well but that will be pretty quiet on an N/A.

Cheers

10th March 2004, 06:14 PM
thanx 4 all the replys,its helped alot!i think im gona buy a trust power extreme 2,take it down to a custom exhaust garage down the road from me who builds their own and get them to cut out all the 3 inch piping out and replace it with 2.5 inch.hopefully this wont mess the performance up too much.i know its the hard way of doing things but i think its the only way to go for me.thanks agen. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

allymcmurdo
11th March 2004, 07:50 PM
Nathan,
I bought the Hiper from you in Feb 2002. I ve got the invoice knockng around somewhere. I not really bothered if its not NA-Specific as Ive not noticed any powerloss or increased fuel consumption.And it Soundsfantastic too.
Certainly got no probs with your sevice either.I ordered the Exhaust mid afternoon and it arrived first thing the next day.Absolutely Spot on.Hats off to you!
If anyone else out there is looking to order some performance parts for your supe I seriously recommend You call TDi.

chiefgroover
11th March 2004, 10:24 PM
Celica was standard in every way, cat still in place. Some people are always right if you know what I mean, perhaps the workshop guys should sell the parts too, that way there might be a more "civil reception to problems". I heard today the guy who bought the exhaust from me (lived 60 miles away) was laughed at by the local car nuts, he had everybody cringing, I'm not suprised. This was back in 1999 I think. You live and learn. I remember it having a little less down low, but there was a definate power gain up high. Not your fault Nathan, dont take it personal, it wasn't you i dealt with. Its still on a white Celica I believe, the owner must be deaf lol!.

Keith_C
11th March 2004, 11:42 PM
My GF has a Blitz Nur on her NA which is *seriously* loud. Sounds good though with the roof off http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nathan
12th March 2004, 09:36 AM
Chiefgroover: thanks for coming back. If it was in 1999 it couldn't have been long after I started working here...but if it wasn't me you dealt with it makes me feel a lot better although I'd still like to crack someones skull if it left a bitter taste for you. It's a shame it wasn't more recent as I would like (and have the power to now) get it sorted. I apologise for the way you were treated.

With respect to putting customers in touch with workshop staff, we often do, and I have pretty much made it a policy now. Many times the customers have said they feel much happier being able to speak to the actual guy doing the work rather then being fed 2nd hand info from a salesperson. I'm fine with this setup- we've never had anything to hide and if it instills customer confidence I'm all for it.

Thanks again.

Faye
13th March 2004, 11:58 AM
Quote[/b] (Keith_C @ Mar. 11 2004,23:42)]My GF has a Blitz Nur on her NA which is *seriously* loud. ?Sounds good though with the roof off http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
As Keith says the Nur Spec R is seriously loud, but if that causes problems you can put the baffle in.
Be warned though it gets very drony at the 3k rev mark

dangerous brain
23rd March 2004, 06:07 PM
I just got given a hiper from a TT it has a little cosmetic grounding damage that I can fix or live with. My question is it splits just after the back box. Can I split it here and bang on the back box only retaining my centre boxes or do I have to fit it from the cat back??

Whifbitz
8th April 2004, 04:45 PM
Greddy do a rather nice stainless exhaust for the NA, sold quite a few of them recently, top quality and not to noisy.

Gixer_81
8th April 2004, 05:45 PM
Anyone heard of JIC?? I've managed to get hold of a JIC Bullet exhaust designed for the SZ. It is a cat back exhaust, front section is light weight steel (very light) and the back box is de-seamed stainless steel. No major change in fuel consumption, pulls better through the gears and sounds awesome when you plant your foot but quite reserved on the motorway! A few TT owners were fooled by the way it sounds, it wasn't till i poped the bonnet to show them it was an SZ that they believed me! lol. As for the SZ-R, I was told its basically a 98' spec TT without the TT if you know what i mean. Try www.jic-magic.com http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif