PDA

View Full Version : Mkiv cat back exhaust for vvti

NigelC
11th May 2004, 01:07 PM
I'm looking to add a performance exhaust to my Supra, and I was wondering if any MKIV Cat back exhaust will fit the car, or if the VVTi model (it's a '98 TT) has a different exhaust system, or different Cat that the exhaust mounts off.

Thanks,

Nigel

alex h
11th May 2004, 01:47 PM
From the cat's back you should find any and all exhausts fit fine. However some are better than others. For instance the Veilside Ti is very highly rated for it's light weight, noise and the fact it's ALL titanium and therefore resistant to weathering unlike some other exhaust which are called stainless steel but are only actually stainless at the backbox which means the piping rots...

In the traders section I think you'll find someone selling Veilside Ti's.

But you won't find the performance gains to be significant from just the Cat back change. For a real boost in performance you will require to de-cat your exhaust. If you speak to Chris Wilson on this site he'll send you some de-cat pipes for the VVTi - you would need to keep you original cats for MOT's but then any friendly MOT station will stick the cats on test it then swap them back for you for an extra tenner or so...if you go this route though you need to think about getting a boost gauge to make sure you're not getting over 1.25bar, and you will have to remove the fuel cut limit of the ECU...(it cuts the fuel when you hit 1bar).

So I've extended your to buy list to.
1x Veilside Ti Cat back (www.whifbitz.co.uk)
A pair of CW Decat pipes (1 for each cat) (chris@formula3.freeserve.co.uk)
1x www.trlperformance.com FCD (Fuel Cut Defencer - preset to 18-19psi (1.25bar)
1x HKS/GReddy/DEFI/SPA/Apex'i/etc boost gauge (SPA dials are very cheap and very well made (get a joint boost and EGT gauge))
1x IK24 Spark plugs from your local Partco.

Now your a grand poorer - but boy will you enjoy it http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Martin F
11th May 2004, 01:54 PM
Alex got in there before me.

All good recommendations, particularly the boost gauge as the stock one in the later cars is not up to much.

alex h
11th May 2004, 02:21 PM
lol - yeah bet he's really glad to be spending 1k+ now instead of ?400...
FWIW Nigel - When my HKS Super Drager's pipe rotted away I replaced it with some custom tubing from a local company. Gave them the car for a day and told them I wanted 3" piping as straight as possible mated to the old drager back box....they did the work and it cost me about ?200 and that was for stainless piping, custom mounts and all sorts. Have a look for a exhaust fabricater in your area. You can find a really good deal if you hunt about.