PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem - again!

J4CK50N
5th November 2004, 09:45 AM
Hi people

I posted a little while ago saying that my car was idling too high!!

Anyways messed about for a bit doing things that people told me to do and everything was fine for about a week!!!

Now the car is idling too low!!!

When you first turn the car on it idles at around 500-600rpm right from the get go!!!

Once up to temp it flucuates between 600-800. Not everytime, but enough to make me think WTF!!

Getting a bit fed up with this now as it is playing on my mind.

Any suggestions? http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Cheers

J4CK50N

J4CK50N
5th November 2004, 09:46 AM
Forgot to say. the thing that is really worrying me is thelow idle at when turning it on!

Ta

J4CK50N

Nathan
5th November 2004, 10:47 AM
Please don't tell me you haven't played with the throttle stop screw on the throttle body? It usually has some paint on it to indicate whether it has been tampered with or not....?

J4CK50N
5th November 2004, 11:23 AM
Hiya mate

No, haven't messed with any screws!!!!

Is this a good thing?

Cheers

J4CK50N

Nathan
5th November 2004, 01:28 PM
Yes, a very good thing :;):

So what have you done already? I missed your original post. Have you done an ECU reset? Long shot but doesn't cost anything and takes about 5 mins.

J4CK50N
5th November 2004, 02:02 PM
Yes mate, then have lubricated the idle control valve (if thats what the one to the right of the throttle body is near the front of the car), and also tried to make sure nothing was sticking.

Everything seemed ok for a day or so, then from cold start just didnt rev just stayed at 500-600rpm.

Very annoying, but not the end of the world but a fix would be gr8!

Cheers M8

J4CK50N

Martin F
5th November 2004, 05:08 PM
Was it this item that you cleaned ?

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/iac/index.html

Chris Wilson
6th November 2004, 10:14 PM
Quote[/b] (J4CK50N @ Nov. 05 2004,14:02)]Yes mate, then have lubricated the idle control valve (if thats what the one to the right of the throttle body is near the front of the car), and also tried to make sure nothing was sticking.

Everything seemed ok for a day or so, then from cold start just didnt rev just stayed at 500-600rpm.

Very annoying, but not the end of the world but a fix would be gr8!

Cheers M8

J4CK50N
"Lubricated the idle control valve" sounds worrying. It's usually oil that *uggers them up.... http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

J4CK50N
22nd November 2004, 09:19 PM
* * * * UPDATE * * * *

Have fitted new O2 sensor. The idle is now steady but is still too high.

Am noticing a pattern now. After an ECU reset everything runs perfect ie beteen 600-800rpm whether you drive 10 miles or 100 miles then as soon as you turn it off and then back on the revs fall to about 400 the boucne back up and climb back to 900ish and just dont drop.

Very bloody annoying.

Now i'm still glad i changed the O2 as is it good practice to change these anyways. But I want this idle issue sorting out so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Martyn